The 3-Week Compassionate Imagery Programme: A Feasibility Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Daley

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Do you identify as having a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes? If so, are you interested in trying out some guided compassion exercises, lasting 10-12 minutes each? If your answer is yes, consider taking part in my feasibility study. See poster below for more information! You can access the information sheet here https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bmDacG45hmltKN8

Hi everyone, I'm new here. My name is Jessica Daley and I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. I have worked in diabetes services for several years and am passionate about supporting people with their emotional wellbeing and physical health. This study above will fulfil part of my doctoral thesis and assesses the feasibility of a 3-week compassionate imagery programme; contributing to an under researched area and highlighting potential benefit for people with type 2 diabetes. Bolstering compassion, which this 3-week programme aims to achieve, has been associated with stress reduction and an improved coping ability that could support adjustment to the ongoing management of type 2 diabetes. Please feel free to ask me any questions after having a read of the information sheet that you can access via the link above. Thank you for your time! Warmest wishes, Jessica

This study has been approved for inclusion on the forum by @Josh DUK

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - if you could perhaps persuade GPs to alter their attitude it would help a lot.
Apologising for ignoring all the things which should have alerted them to their being a problem for the last several decades would be a good start, throw in being sorry for all the snide remarks and insults about the weight gain, the tiredness and lack of energy, abject grovelling for putting mother and the unborn at risk when pre eclampsia occurred - I could thing of a few more things, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Oh yes - phoning up and arranging a 'routine follow up appointment' after a blood test and then dropping the bombshell TEN DAYS LATER that 'you are a very bad diabetic' no apology is ever going to work for that.

I understand you had a terrible experience but I'm not sure your comments will be helpful to Jessica's thesis.

Last chance to take part! The above study will be closing soon!
If you have type 2 diabetes and would like to try some guided compassion exercises, see poster above or info here: https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bmDacG45hmltKN8

Thank you to those who have already taken part and for Diabetes UK for allowing me to add this to your forum, we really appreciate it!

Warmest wishes,
Jess

Jessica Daley
Trainee Clinical Psychologist
University of Surrey

Hmmm - if you could perhaps persuade GPs to alter their attitude it would help a lot.
Apologising for ignoring all the things which should have alerted them to their being a problem for the last several decades would be a good start, throw in being sorry for all the snide remarks and insults about the weight gain, the tiredness and lack of energy, abject grovelling for putting mother and the unborn at risk when pre eclampsia occurred - I could thing of a few more things, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Oh yes - phoning up and arranging a 'routine follow up appointment' after a blood test and then dropping the bombshell TEN DAYS LATER that 'you are a very bad diabetic' no apology is ever going to work for that.
Hello, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. This sounds scary, upsetting, frustrating and stigmatising. I can imagine experiences like this can often make people feel negatively towards themselves (and understandably sometimes others). This is what motivated me to create some compassion based exercises as ongoing management of any chronic condition is tough, and it is easy to criticise yourself, especially with challenging targets to meet. And that's without all the stigma and blaming messages on top. However, like you said, work needs to be done by others to prevent these experiences from happening in the first place. My ideas are thinking about ways principles from compassion focused therapy (explained in the study above) can be used by clinicians during diabetes clinics - I am currently writing this paper up. Thank you again for sharing, and I am sorry to hear about the things you have experienced. I hope you take comfort that there are people working to change things. Warmest wishes, Jess

Hope your research goes well Jessica. Self compassion and self care are really important with long-term diabetes management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back