The 15 minutes of fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m keen to learn how others combat that 15 minutes waiting time when you’ve been hypo and the panic when you take the next finger prick? I’ve a real problem with freaking out that my levels won’t rise, and basically that sugar won’t help me! Madness I know. When I then test and see my numbers rise I tend to break out in tears in relief.
I know I’m still not a year in to this new way of life but I hope I can shift this fear.

Keen to know how others cope x

You need something to keep you occupied. eg if you are a practical bloke, keep a piece of decent quality string handy and practice tying knots. At home eg go out to your shed/garage and tidy up your tools - amaze your wife/mum by tidying up anything eg the airing cupboard or bathroom cabinet or a kitchen drawer or in an office, organise your stationery drawer/the photocopier/printer paper, in a factory I dunno, do any of the lavatory pans need cleaning/new bog rolls? Just anything !! Practice your times tables, always useful in Type 1 !

Just set a timer and get on with whatever I’m doing usually. If too shaky then just sit and rest or listen to something on my phone whilst waiting.

Afraid I am a bit naughty as I pop a JB or 2 when I am hypo and usually just crack on with what I was doing, if it is daytime or go straight back to sleep if it is night time. Maybe I have too much faith in my JBs or my body's ability to extract the glucose from them but my experience over the past few years tells me that they will work. Interestingly, since I've had this more casual approach to hypos they are not nearly so debilitating and generally fix quicker. It is the fear and panic which triggers more adrenaline release and that makes you feel more anxious

My body tells me if I have recovered or I have dropped again, so I rarely retest at 15mins unless I feel rough and don't feel like I have recovered properly.
Hopefully with time and experience you will also lose most of that fear and panic and have confidence in your ability to manage your hypos well.

I don’t stick to the 15 minute rule - I use my judgement each time. If I’m panicking and/or still feeling hypo, I’ll have some more glucose. I can feel the difference between a normal hypo and one that’s not coming up properly.

So, if it helps reassure you, do an extra test. I also use Coke for the lower hypos as it works quicker and thus shortens that feeling. GlucoJuice is good too.

Also, remember that low sugar itself can affect your emotions eg make you feel weepy, panicky, etc.

I'm having a hypo atm and panicking a bit about being late for work as i can't drive. To distract me, i'm looking at my phone or i shall read a few pages of my book

I find a cloth and give the nearest surface a good wipe! Or I wash my hands and prick my finger before the 15 minute mark. Or I just surround myself with glucose kit, juice boxes, Libre, etc and sweat it out. It isn’t the nicest experience, but I’m sure you’ll get used to it with time.

What’s your go-to hypo fix @Jimmy2202 ? For me, it has to be juice. Nothing else seems to work quickly enuff.

I find a cloth and give the nearest surface a good wipe! Or I wash my hands and prick my finger before the 15 minute mark. Or I just surround myself with glucose kit, juice boxes, Libre, etc and sweat it out. It isn’t the nicest experience, but I’m sure you’ll get used to it with time.

What’s your go-to hypo fix @Jimmy2202 ? For me, it has to be juice. Nothing else seems to work quickly enuff.
I’ve always got a decent supply of hypo treatments on me. I have a rucksack that take every where: work, days out, walking the dogs, pushing the pram 🙂
In the bag is always loads of jelly babies, dextro tablets, orange juice, apple juice, fruity cereal bars, belvita flap back things.
But yes, the juice is my main one, I swirl it around my mouth loads to absorb quicker, and I also find it works the quickest.
I trust these cartoons of juice 🙂

When hypo warning signs are really clanging and every synapse is screaming EAT EVERYTHING!! it can be so unpleasant, and almost impossible not to double-treat.

Over the years the gentle low-drift ones have become much easier to bear (the brain adapts). This helps in one way, but it can also be a bit of a slippery slope if you aren’t careful.

When hypo warning signs are really clanging and every synapse is screaming EAT EVERYTHING!! it can be so unpleasant, and almost impossible not to double-treat.
Know what - Not very long ago I had a hypo one evening, went in the kitchen to see what I could have and get it and thought. honestly - buggrit - going to have something I really like and haven't had for absolutely ages and ages, a slice of brioche with a thick spread of apricot jam. I really really enjoyed every mouthful! Of course - I paid for it being hyper for hours after, just like I knew I would and don't recommend it - but first time in years since I've rebelled like that!

If I have a big/low hypo I will stop, drink juice (a bit of treat as I don’t usually) and play spider on the iPad. Easier than a sudoku when I have a muddled brain. I am better at stopping now and just taking some time out, but there are occasions when defying all logic I try to carry on and ignore it!!

Regarding driving I got into the habit of checking 45 min before I needed to leave so that I could avoid delays if I hypo and then can’t drive for 45 min. The sensors really help with this as they show the direction of travel of levels as well as the reading, so it makes it a lot easier to come up with an appropriate plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back