Thats it - no more blood left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I went to have blood taken again this morning. My left vein was being very shy as per usual and my right was looking well juicy!!

But try as hard as the nurse could

First attempt - nothing
second attempt - lots of wiggling the needle and lots of pressing we managed to get a minute amount - nursey assured me hopefully just enough to do the HbA1c.

Does anyone else struggle now when having blood taken? Or is this due to the fact that the DR's are like vampires and I'm still having blood taken at least once a month :(

I went to have blood taken again this morning. My left vein was being very shy as per usual and my right was looking well juicy!!

But try as hard as the nurse could

First attempt - nothing
second attempt - lots of wiggling the needle and lots of pressing we managed to get a minute amount - nursey assured me hopefully just enough to do the HbA1c.

Does anyone else struggle now when having blood taken? Or is this due to the fact that the DR's are like vampires and I'm still having blood taken at least once a month :(

Di they know when im coming hun and all hide, im terrible i have to have blood taken from my hand more often then not, and one time she could not get a drop and i was sent to the hospital to the phlumbotomist or whatever there name and she got it instantly.

im the same dizzy ! come out looking like a proper junkie !

Di they know when im coming hun and all hide, im terrible i have to have blood taken from my hand more often then not, and one time she could not get a drop and i was sent to the hospital to the phlumbotomist or whatever there name and she got it instantly.

See, pflebs are awesome :D One would hope, anyway, being as that's what they do 🙄

My blood is normally easily obtainable my FILs isn't.

Last time he was in hospital one Dr tried unsuccessfully to get blood from him without any success and in the end gave up. It was particularly annoying as he had chosen visiting time to do this and wouldn't let us in. The following day the pfleb turned up and had no trouble.

The pflebs at the walk in blood clinic are a bit hit and miss - there's only one who doesn't hurt him, the others regularly do.

It was the nurse at the GPs

Last time she did the left vein and that ended up running down my arm instead of in the vial (nice bruse) and the right vein to eventually get any(another nice bruse).

I'm supposed to go to the hospital and have it done there - but with the amount of time I spend at the hospital at the moment I refuse to go everytime I need a blood test. My place of work would go mad 😉 bothered not 😛

Shame really - you'd get it done much quicker in a bizarre logic. Have you tried the different nurses? Maybe there's one at your GPs that's better than the rest. I know I have one PN that I love, since she was there the day of my DX, and I always try to go to her if she's free 🙂

I know, but the hospital is quite a way away from work and home - and unfortunately everytime I go I'm kept waiting 2 hours after my appointment time. (I'm not moaning really)

Work haven't said anything but I can feel them looking if you know what I mean.

Maybe I should sit myself down and do an assessment...lol....I look after HR 😛 and see if work can help me in anyway 😛

Only ever have this pronlem if it is someone in experienced or if it is very cold.

Only time anyone had trouble getting blood out of me, I hadn't cycled in the past 30 mins, so that's my tip for easy blood flow. Normally they get it first time, but on the one time without cycling, it took 1 nurse who had 2 goes, the 1 anaesthetic experienced doctor who took 3 goes in elbow, wrist and hand.

Normally I'm pretty easy to get blood from, but last time I let my colleagues do it for me, took 2 nurses and 3 attempts. Plebotomists are usually pretty good as thats their job all day long taking blood.

whenever I had to have blood taken my veins would go into retreat due to my needle phobia. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I still get times when it's hard to get a vein up.

If you are a bit dehydrated it can be hard to get blood out as it becomes thicker, this is a problem usually associated with older people who don't drink enough water though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back