That Curious, Nagging itch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaver

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So having recently been introduced to the joys of blood sugar testing, my second biggest question has been..

What does my wife's blood sugar read after the same meal as me? 😉

I did try to convince her it was a simple test but for some reason she didnt want to do it! 🙄

Anyone else had a naughty urge to test their spouses?

I would test Jake my dog but he won't sit still🙂

Honestly I'm really curious!

Anyone else thought the same?

I think it's a normal urge! A couple of times now we've all tested ourselves since Ross was first diagnosed. The last time was two nights ago when I frightened everyone with a bs level of 3.2.....I hadn't eaten all day (very bad I know). Ross was amazed that I could have an apparent hypo and be fine.

Curiosity or maybe nosiness runs in our family.

Oh, okay...it's just me that's nosy. 😉

Oo 3.2 is counted as a hypo?

That's a surprise to me, as I read that normal sugar levels are 3.5 -5 (ish).

I'd love clarifaction on that as I'm at 4.00 on a good day and was aiming to go lower.

And I just derailed my own thread, must be the weekend🙂

I'd love clarifaction on that as I'm at 4.00 on a good day and was aiming to go lower.

Anything below 4 is a hypo, although a non-diabetic can go as low as 3.5 or as high as 10 with no ill effects. 🙂

3.2 is a hypo for Ross - we aim for around 7 ideally for him but anything from 4 to 10 is in range. He's all over the place most of the time but it's early days for us - diagnosis was only a month ago.

I felt fine, but I'm not diabetic.

Thank you.

I know know more than the NHS has told me in terms of the ranges.

No worries.

I wouldn't aim to spend too much time around 4, or go any lower, because you'd be at risk of losing hypo awareness. Which is not a good thing! Mine is already not as good as it used to be, which is worrying.

But if you're regularly coming in at around the 4's and 5's, that's really good, so I'd be very pleased! 🙂

my other half is always curious what his blood sugar is - especially if he feels a bit funny or is very very thirsty for no apparent reason! i caught him testing without telling me the other day - only for him to tell me that was the second test he'd done then as he didn't believe the first one, lol! i was actually pleased - brought my 7 day average down a bit!

Hi Keaver, as a Type 2 not on medication, you are unlikely to get a bad hypo. Hypos are mainly caused by injected insulin (too much) or insulin-promoting drugs like gliclazide. If you are getting 4s then you are doing extremely well! 🙂

In the MRC Epidemiology Unit Fenland study, non-diabetic volunteers are tested at fasting and 120mins after injesting 82.5g glucose (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test). If they have blood glucose of 2.7mmol/l or less at 120mins, we encourage them to have biscuits and a tea or coffee with sugar before treadmill test.

I tested OH two days ago. I did a reading 90 mins after food and was 4.2 my lowest ever reading!! convinced that the meter was broken I tested him and he was 4.9! :D

Yeah did it once to him then never again, my test strips are to precious.

I test my grown up boy sometimes. It annoys him like mad, but he knows he wont get any peace until I've used my puncture kit on him. Mainly I demand to do the tests when he is exceptionally thirsty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back