Thankyou For All Your Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYSKY57

Hi Everyone, Thankyou For All Your Messages. Another Bad One Today, Dad Had Another Hypo And Nearly Ended Up In Hospital Again. He Was Out Beating On A Shoot, And Had Another Hypo, So They Called 999 This Time, But He Had Come Round By The Time I Had Got There As He Was 10 Miles Away. So Matron Here, That Is What I Call Myself Now, Has Told Him, Time To Give It Up Dad, Which Is Sad, As He Loves The Company So Much. He Is Going To Be Like A Bear With A Sore Head All Winter.
Of Course The Problem Is It Is To Much Strenous Work For His Age, And He Now Realises That He Is A Liability To The Others. So Has Decided To Call It A Day.
However, When We Got Him Home, And He Had A Small Meal, He Was Reasonably Ok, But Very Tired.
So I Left Him, His Blood Sugars Had Gone Up, So I Am On Alert Tonight, Just In Case.

I Have Spoken To The Boss Of The Shoots And They Love Dad Going As He Is Quite A Card, And Still Want Him To Go. Someone Will Pick Him Up, And He Can Sit In The Game Cart. Sorry To Offend Anyone Who Do Not Like Game Shoots.

But Dad Really Goes Just For The Company And I Thought That This Was So Nice, That They Still Wanted Dad To Go On This Basis Just For The Company.
But He Is A Proud Man, And I Do Not Think He Will Be Very Happy To Go And Not Be Able To Do Anything, So We Will Just Have To Wait And See, I Hope That This Cheers Him Up Tomorrow.

I Have Spoken To The Diabetic Nurse, Who Did Not Seem To Be To Concerned About Last Friday, And Put It Down To A Missed Meal. Today I Put It Down To Strenous Work For A 77 Year Old.

But He Is So Stubborn, But I Do Hope That He Now Will Sit Back And Rest, And Realise That Enough Is Enough. But He Has Always Had 2 Jobs And Never Likes To Just Sit Around.

Oh Dear, What A Horrible Thing This Diabeties Is For You All. My Heart Goes Out To You All, And I Congratulate You If You Do As You Are Told (ha Ha).
Of Course He Doesn't, Hence The Problem. So I Am Hoping That Maybe This Time, He May Start Doing What He Is Told.

So Another Call To The Diabetic Nurse, But I Think Don't You That It Is Just The Strenous Work, I Think He Feels Like A 20 Year Old And Not 77 Years Old.

Anyway It Is Lovely To Be A Part Of Your Support Group, And I Have Learnt A Lot From All Your Stories. For Those I Thank You.

Talk To You All Again Soon.

Love Jayskyxx

Your dad sounds a bit like my dad who at 80 wont give anything up.

It would be sad if your dad had to give up going on the shoots completely. Is it possible he can take a snack of some kind with him to make up for the missing meal/ May also pay for him to carry a bag of jelly babies or whatever sugary sweets he likes just in case.

Is it possible your dad can have a job to do that is not quite so physical so that he still feels included?

I'm not a fan of shoots, but know they happen and it is a clean kill once the birds have been flushed out.

Hiya...

I'd just second what Caroline has said - it would be such a shame for him to lose out on the exercise & social benefits...diabetics are encouraged to be active & life full lives after all! 🙂 I suspect the worst thing might be to make him shut himself up at home, I can imagine if he's an active outdoorsy type of person he would end up festering (as it were!) & feeling really miserable - diabetes is a pain in the bum enough without having to feel like it's a suspecded death sentence after all eh? 😉 I know it's scary with the hypos but if you can crack them (& if the company are keen to retain him with less active jobs that sounds ideal as a compromise 🙂) then I think the benefits will be great...

Does he have any / good hypo recognition? I think a big bag of snacks sounds like the way to go! (jelly babies / small cartons of orange juice are good for stopping hypos, flapjacks etc are great for slow release energy).

My in-laws are in their late 70s, so I appreciate it can be really scary when you see someone that age overdoing things- but I also know that with the right measures, the diabetes aspect at least need not be the end of all fun... wishing you both the best of luck in getting this cracked!

Twitchy xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back