Thanks Banting, Best, MacLeod, Collip, the dogs ... and anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
One hundred years ago today, on January 11, 1922, 14-year-old Leonard Thompson became the first person to receive a successful insulin injection as a treatment for diabetes. Prior to that, people with Type 1 diabetes did not survive for more than a few weeks or months with the disease.

Thompson's first dose had an apparent impurity which caused an allergic reaction. A refined process was quickly developed to improve the canine pancreas from which the insulin was derived, and his second dosage was successfully delivered twelve days later on January 23.

A breakthrough came at the University of Toronto in the summer of 1921, when Frederick Banting and Charles Best successfully isolated insulin from canine test subjects, produced diabetic symptoms in the animals, and then began a program of insulin injections that returned the dogs to normalcy. Their discovery was announced to the world on November 14, 1921.

Two months later, with the support of J.J.R. MacLeod of the University of Toronto, the two scientists began preparations for the first insulin treatment to be administered to a human. With the help of biochemist J.B. Collip, they extracted a reasonably pure formula of insulin from the pancreas of cattle from slaughterhouses, and used it to treat Leonard Thompson.

I thought I would start a thread to thank these guys and any one else who has been significant in helping me and others in our lives with diabetes.
My personal thanks go to my DSN who has been with me since the start. Her attitude of "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want" has continued to drive me.

Last edited:
Let's not forget the rabbits too 🙂 They were used to test Collip's refining process. Interestingly, when the rabbits were first injected the scientists observed the first ever hypo! 😱

Forever grateful for this discovery 🙂 I find it obscene that Banting sold it to the world for $1 because he wanted it to be made available to all who needed it, but since then the Pharma companies that have produced their own varieties and refinements have put it beyond reach of many in the world including in the US where price-gouging by the companies make it an expensive luxury for many :(

I would highly recommend reading The Discovery of Insulin, by Michael Bliss - the definitive history. Also of interest is the book The Fight to Survive, by Caroline Cox - the story of a young girl diagnosed two years prior to the discovery who lived life to the full despite severe restrictions on her diet, and one of the first to receive insulin. She lived until 1981 🙂

Yes, hugely grateful to all who were involved in this life saving discovery. Cheers!

And also grateful to the continuing progress being made to improve our means of managing diabetes, from insulin pens and BG meters to F/CGM to pumps and now closed loop systems. We are so lucky to live in an era where we have a future to live and be able to do whatever we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back