Tetanus booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey guys. Just sat here thinking about tetanus jabs. I *think* I had my last one when I was in year 9 so would have been about 14, so I think I'm coming up for a booster. Plus, cut hands from the archaeology are looking kind of dirty... even though its very unlikely id get something like tetanus anyways. But still, im starting to worry myself abit. Tetanus sounds naaaaaaaaasty.

So, dyu reckon its an idea to phone up the docs on monday and book myself in for a booster? Also, whats it like? I barely remember my last tetanus jab. Does it hurt as much as the flu jab?

hi Sam after getting my hbA friday doc said to me its flashing on the screen you need a tetanus can i book u in so im in on the 16th getting it , o/h told me i will get it in my bum is that true?

hey guys. Just sat here thinking about tetanus jabs. I *think* I had my last one when I was in year 9 so would have been about 14, so I think I'm coming up for a booster. Plus, cut hands from the archaeology are looking kind of dirty... even though its very unlikely id get something like tetanus anyways. But still, im starting to worry myself abit. Tetanus sounds naaaaaaaaasty.

So, dyu reckon its an idea to phone up the docs on monday and book myself in for a booster? Also, whats it like? I barely remember my last tetanus jab. Does it hurt as much as the flu jab?

I had a tetanus jab last year. I didn't leap off the seat so it's not that bad. (I hate needles) On par with flu jab without the ache afterwards.

combined diptheria / tetanus / polio injection

Before you have a tetanus jab, check whether or not you also need protection against polio and / or diphtheria - GP should know your immunisation records, but it's also possible that you may have had some of these at a travel clinic, if you've attended one - they usually give you a record booklet. You may also have had a tetanus injection if you've attended A&E with a wound, who should have told your GP. If you need two or more out of tetanus, diphtheria and polio, then ask your GP or practice nurse about the all in one injection.

My son had one a few weeks ago as he'd missed his booster at school (about 4 years ago - lol, they're a bit nifty down at our surgery!! :D ). He had it in his arm, and I've just asked him if it hurt, and he said "No, not really".

I'd say go for it, you never know what's gonna happen while your scrabbling around in the dirt.

xx

ty for that copepod i will ask on 16th

Having given lots of immunisations, it's much easier to ask someone to roll up a sleeve than reveal their buttock! Then, they need to lie down, as if they're sitting, you can't reach their buttock. Just look away if you don't want to see the needle - and warn the nurse if you're particularly nervous, so that you can lie down and have it in your arm.

Had a booster tetanus jab a couple of months ago.. have to say thought it was gonna hurt but it didnt, just slight sore arm for a few days but nothing much.. xx

Had a booster after I fell over the dog whilst running and grazed chin and hands (Ouch! 😱). I asked if I needed one as I'd had a booster in my 20's. She gave me the jab, but said that current thinking is that you don't need regular booster once you've had the initial ones - might be worth checking this with your GP. I guess because of what you do, advice may be different?

NHS Immunisations information

NHS vaccination guidelines here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1039.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63
Quote: "Tetanus - if all childhood vaccinations are up-to-date, a tetanus booster is only needed for people who are at risk of getting tetanus following injury." (last childhood immunisation is sinlge Diptheria / Tetanus / Polio [Td/IPV] at age 13 to 18 years)
Always worth remembering that no vaccine is 100% guarantee that you can't get the infection, so it's best to use normal infection control procedures eg wearing gloves to prevent cuts to hands, boots to avoid damage from spades & forks etc for tetanus; more generally, avoiding droplets by not get sneezed on, plus plenty of hand washing for eg measles, flu, diphtheria etc, and food hygiene and hand washing to prevent spread of faecal oral conditions such as polio, typhoid, cholera etc (only polio vaccine is given to those who stay in the UK, typhoid & cholera for some overseas travel to some locations.)

Talking about immunisations, have any of you guys had the pneumonia jab?
I had one when I was first diagnosed along with my flu jab. It protects you for 10 years.

Good jab to get, I had pneumonia years ago and it was not a pleasant experience and getting it as a diabetic would be even worse.

Talking about immunisations, have any of you guys had the pneumonia jab?
I had one when I was first diagnosed along with my flu jab. It protects you for 10 years.

Good jab to get, I had pneumonia years ago and it was not a pleasant experience and getting it as a diabetic would be even worse.

Had my pneumonia jab a couple of years ago.

never been offered it, although my son, who has asthma, was offered it with his flu jab last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back