Testosterone 'could prevent heart and diabetes deaths'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Boosting men's testosterone levels could potentially reduce deaths from heart disease and type 2 diabetes, UK doctors and scientists say.

A team in Sheffield has shown the sex hormone has a "major impact" on the way sugar and fat are handled by the body.

At the Endocrine Society's annual meeting, they said low testosterone was common in type 2 diabetes.

Experts said the field was being "turned upside down" as testosterone was previously considered a villain.

It was thought to explain why men are more prone to heart disease. There are also concerns about the damaging impact of testosterone, as seen in bodybuilders who abuse the hormone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31869054

Well there's a thing - only the other day it was reported that they'd erroneously been using 'men' levels to test whether women had been having heart attacks etc whereas the 'lady level' of whatever it was which showed the cardiac trouble was actually less.

Of course - we lack testosterone anyway in comparison to blokes - and I'm absolutely certain my health declined generally after I stopped getting T implants along with the usual ones for HRT. (and especially sexually - but that's entirely TMI for general consumption!)

Oh I don't know Trophy, I think with testosterone therapy you'd look good with a beard :D

I assure you I had far more hairs on my chest when I was in my 30s and 40s than I ever did when in my 50s and needed the HRT !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back