Testing Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I use the Bayer contour testing strips, for testing my blood sugars, and on my monthly repeat prescription, it says i am only allowed to order 2 boxes, with 50 in each box,-100 a month and i test sometimes 6-8 times a day which is only half the amount i need.

How many strips am i allowed a month?

Thanks🙂

Hi Scoty wow i only am allowed 50 , I think if you asked the doc when you see him surely if you need them you need them no good running out so i guess you need as many as possible aint sure if theres a limit on how many your allowed

as a type 1 as many as you need. Especially as you are expereincing the hypos that you are. Sometimes the receptionists like to cut down peoples prescriptions for some reason. Speak to your GP about increasing it, it's fairly typical to get 200 at a time, some people get more. Any problems get your DSN involved

It should be as many as you need, they shouldn't be rationed. I'd say add up how many you normally would use, add about 25% more to take account of testing before driving, testing when you're ill etc, and as the GP to change your repeat prescription. When I first got diagnosed they only allowed me one a month, but when I pointed out how often I needed to test, they upped it to 4 boxes. Other people get more, e.g if they're pumping, or pregnant. Good luck in getting it sorted!

graham get 250 a month but is 6 and he use LOTS!! at school

I only got two boxes per prescription initially, but explained to GP and increased to four boxes which last about a month for me. Still annoying though as all my other supplies/meds last two months - might ask for more next time I'm in. As others have said you should get as many as you need.

I get through 2 tubs of 50 about every 25 days. I just stick a repeat request in when I open my last tub of strips. No complaints yet.

Do you get them on prescription? I'm not allowed to get any on prescription, only urine sticks so i have to buy mine and i try and make 50 last a month but it's not always possible. I do get them cheaper online though.

Do you get them on prescription? I'm not allowed to get any on prescription, only urine sticks so i have to buy mine and i try and make 50 last a month but it's not always possible. I do get them cheaper online though.

What has your GP said when you mentioned having to buy strips.If your diet and exercise only you have to buy but are you not on pills/insulin ?

Get as many as you can. The case for having more is it helps you get better control. If you have better control you are less likely to have complications. Less complications saves money in the long run. Ask for more strips and see what happpens...

Yes i get them on prescription im exempt from paying for prescription 🙂

What has your GP said when you mentioned having to buy strips.If your diet and exercise only you have to buy but are you not on pills/insulin ?

yes im type 1 on levimar and novarapid,

I assume you mean you're buying blood testing strips.
I keep records of my readings.

Perhaps you can demonstrate an improvement in your BG readings to your doctor?

I am on diet/excercise only but i am finding that testing is giving me a better picture on what i can eat/avoid and staying within the recommended guidelines. I will try again next time i see the DN/GP but i doubt they will let me.

I am on diet/excercise only but i am finding that testing is giving me a better picture on what i can eat/avoid and staying within the recommended guidelines. I will try again next time i see the DN/GP but i doubt they will let me.

Ah yes well thats why you are having to buy them , they dont prescribe to diet/exercise only.

I get 2 boxes on prescription every month
I am diet & exercise too but are exempt from paying i have HC2 for low wages ect.
My gp told me i shouldn't be testing, after convincing her it helps me to control my food intake & different foods i put to the test she is fine with that.
This has helped me keep to some good bg levels. such as:
4.2 pre meal
7.5 2hrs after eating max
Oviously higher if i'm not well.
Since testing i have discovered that most brown & granary breads are a no no & most deffinately white bread is out , not that i like that anyway lol
The best bread for me is Vogels linseed & soya which was recomended on here by someone whom i am very greatful to, thank you who ever you are :D
I orderd mine from morrisons.
Fight for your strips they really do help keep control.

Ah yes well thats why you are having to buy them , they dont prescribe to diet/exercise only.

Hiya - just thought I'd mention - I am diet and exercise only and my surgery told me I could have them on prescription.....I'm just about to put a repeat in so will let you know what they say!

One thing to note if you are forced to buy your own blood testing strips.
If you are diabetic you are exempt from paying any VAT on diabetic related goods if it is for your own use.

This applies to everything from diabetic kit bags to glucotabs, lancets etc, so is worth noting.

You need to fill out a disability declaration form see link below.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/downloads/guides/VAT_exemption_declaration_for_diabetes.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back