Testing in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m still using a mix of my aviva expert meter, and new wavesense jazz wireless meter, whilst I use up the test strips for the aviva. I took the wavesense meter out carolling with me (I play brass instruments) last weekend as it’s so tiny and pocket friendly.

Most annoying to find that both times I came to test (“am I hypo or just cold?”) my meter just said “error 4”. It had been in my coat pocket and it was chilly but not that cold, we were out of the wind, not all wearing coats, but single figures probably.

So I looked up error 4 when I got home, and it was a warning about “extreme temperatures”, please test at 21 degrees!! Even inside my house isn’t that warm, but it does seem to work at room temperatures of 15-18c as I keep my house. So my question is, is this normal? How cold does it have to be for your meter to give an error about extreme temperatures? I need to do some more tests as if I genuinely can’t test outside in winter then this meter is useless!

Attachments

• BC39B5A4-ACCC-4666-94FA-607F4C5D913C.jpeg
    BC39B5A4-ACCC-4666-94FA-607F4C5D913C.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 4
I have had that error from my meter in the past but it was definitely chilly.
I never found out the minimum temperature (I am not keen to waste strips). I just keep my meter in an* inside pocket when out in the cold.

That is "an" inside pocket rather than "my" inside pocket. Women's clothes are useless wrt pockets so have to carry around a boyfriend for that purpose.

I keep all my diabetes gear in my little back pack handbag and during the winter I have this problem with all my meters when I am working outside or even in the stables /feed room etc and sometimes even in the house when I wake up in the morning or early hours and the room isn't warm. I just put the meter down my bra for 5 mins and that revives it enough to then test. It's not an ideal scenario if I am hypo but at least it means that I can take a reading and check if I am recovering. I am loath to move anything diabetes wise out of my back pack because I often change coats for riding or mucking out etc and could easily end up without a bit of kit if I put it in a pocket, so the compromise of putting it in a warm place for a few mins to revive it, is the best solution for this problem I have come up with so far.

I put it down my jumper in the end but this felt awkward to be honest, especially when I had to try and fish it out to retest a bit later

I have no issues fishing my meter out of my bra if I have to, just like I don't mind injecting in public. These things are necessary to keep me safe. What it looks like or other people may think about it is irrelevant.

Blimey Lucy - 18 to 24 is nearer the mark unless you're either elderly or infant in which case min 20 is recognised as the benchmark. I'm sitting here with the house a fair bit warmer than 20 and perished despite several layers and though I've always felt the cold and obviously being able to give you 3 decades, it is getting silly again so think I most likely need my thyroxine increasing again.

If I remember correctly, my Aviva was sensitive to cold, failed morning test if left on table or in backpack when walking. And Optium Xceed meter was Ok but strips were cold sensitive.
Warmed up in pocket or under arm fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back