Testing BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
May I, in my ignorance, raise a couple of points.

I believe I am correct in saying that opinion holds that it is the fasting blood test that is the hardest to reduce. If that is so, can any members offer any tips as to how that can be done. What I mean is, it is hours since the previous meal - so what steps can be taken to obtain a reduced figure?

The other point is this: is there an order of significance for the results of tests? Is the result of the one taken 2 hours after a meal more important than the one taken one hour after a meal? And is the fasting test result the most important result of all?

Last edited:
May I, in my ignorance, raise a couple of points.

I believe I am correct in saying that opinion holds that it is the fasting blood test that is the hardest to reduce. If that is so, can any members offer any tips as to how that can be done. What I mean is, it is hours since the previous meal - so what steps can be taken to obtain a reduced figure?

The other point is this: is there an oreder of significance for the results of test? Is the ressult of the one taken 2 hours after a meal more important than the one taken onn hour after a meal? And is the fasting test result the most important result of all?

Dear Jean,

The fasting blood sugar reading is a convenient way of measuring what your BS levels settle down to in the absence of of any input via your food. I believe that the most important reading is the peak that usually, but not always, occurs 1 hour after a meal. It is now believed that keeping this on target is most important in delaying the onset of future complications. The 2 hour figure should be the same as the pre-meal value, but as time progresses this can be difficult to achieve. In order to achieve my fasting target, I eat my smallest meal in the evening

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Its no indication of anything really, because most of us have a problem with dawn phenomenon. Not that its that difficult to reduce either:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/dawn-phenomenon

Bizarrely some docs tell T2s only to test a fasting once a week, as if that is any indication of anything. Given the unpredictability of liver dumps and the increased chances of it happening first thing in the morning, its not really a very good indicator at all.

But getting the fasting right can set you up for the rest of the day, give you more flexibility with breakfast without going excessively high etc. Get the morning right and things are generally better for the rest of the day.

The other point is this: is there an order of significance for the results of tests? Is the result of the one taken 2 hours after a meal more important than the one taken one hour after a meal? And is the fasting test result the most important result of all?

The one hour reading generally catches the peak BG or close to it. Pizza and pasta in particular can cause an unexpected spike up to 4 hours later though. Theres an increasing body of opinion (with some justification) that peaks cause the damage. So if you can keep the peaks down, you can minimise damage.

As for the 2 hour test, I'm really not sure why this should have been considered the benchmark for so long. Its not a terribly good indicator of anything really. I've heard claims that its how well your BG comes back down again that is important. This might have some validity for T1 but all it tells you as a T2 is that you have insulin in your system and its working to reduce the BG from the peak thats been passed. Maybe its just a less scary number to point people at.

As for the fasting, I can keep my BG between 4.0 and 5.5 all day, then wake up to a 7 because of a dawn phenomenon liver dump. Totally misleading. If you can keep the fasting number down though, breakfast is easier and you are set up for the day.

Its no indication of anything really, because most of us have a problem with dawn phenomenon. Not that its that difficult to reduce either:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/dawn-phenomenon

Bizarrely some docs tell T2s only to test a fasting once a week, as if that is any indication of anything. Given the unpredictability of liver dumps and the increased chances of it happening first thing in the morning, its not really a very good indicator at all.

But getting the fasting right can set you up for the rest of the day, give you more flexibility with breakfast without going excessively high etc. Get the morning right and things are generally better for the rest of the day.

The one hour reading generally catches the peak BG or close to it. Pizza and pasta in particular can cause an unexpected spike up to 4 hours later though. Theres an increasing body of opinion (with some justification) that peaks cause the damage. So if you can keep the peaks down, you can minimise damage.

As for the 2 hour test, I'm really not sure why this should have been considered the benchmark for so long. Its not a terribly good indicator of anything really. I've heard claims that its how well your BG comes back down again that is important. This might have some validity for T1 but all it tells you as a T2 is that you have insulin in your system and its working to reduce the BG from the peak thats been passed. Maybe its just a less scary number to point people at.

As for the fasting, I can keep my BG between 4.0 and 5.5 all day, then wake up to a 7 because of a dawn phenomenon liver dump. Totally misleading. If you can keep the fasting number down though, breakfast is easier and you are set up for the day.

Dear VBH,

I am interested to know if the dawn phenomenon, is, in your opinion, common. I have been looking for it for several months and for me it is not there. Whatever I go to sleep with is the reading I awake with - within a decimal point or two

Regards Dodger

The majority of T2s that I have run into suffer from DP to some extent. Usually a pre-bed snack manages to avoid it. The key being to make sure it involves protein and/or fat with a little slow carb, as close to actual sleep as possible and well away from (3 hours +) the last meal.

I have run into a few lucky souls like yourself who don't have that effect tho.

The majority of T2s that I have run into suffer from DP to some extent. Usually a pre-bed snack manages to avoid it. The key being to make sure it involves protein and/or fat with a little slow carb, as close to actual sleep as possible and well away from (3 hours +) the last meal.

I have run into a few lucky souls like yourself who don't have that effect tho.

Dear VBH,

Thank you kindly sir

Regards Dodger

Whatever I go to sleep with is the reading I awake with - within a decimal point or two

Regards Dodger

Lucky you. I very definitely have it (Type 2). Often 1 mmol/l higher and late evening snacks do not help.

Yet another example of how we are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back