Testing 2 times a day? PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just got back from clinic and am very confused. Hb was slightly up but not to bad, although really disappointed. But the doc said something about only testing 1 or 2 times a day!! WHAT? This can't be right can it? Please put my mind at rest and assure me that I must have misunderstood. I can't stop crying about it. I can't manage on that. I'll phone dn tomorrow and see what she says. I am trying so hard.😡

Testing only twice a day, and you're a type 1 on a pump? The doc doesn't understand the needs of Type 1 management, I think.

If that's actually what s/he said, I personally would be getting out of that clinic ASAP. Pumps often need more testing due to the potential for errors with the pump itself (ie kinked cannula).

I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding but no way can you be expected to maintain good control of your diabetes with 2 tests a day!!

If that's actually what s/he said, I personally would be getting out of that clinic ASAP. Pumps often need more testing due to the potential for errors with the pump itself (ie kinked cannula).

I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding but no way can you be expected to maintain good control of your diabetes with 2 tests a day!!

I agree, gooooo, leave, what a wally (not you). I agree with you, ring the DN and find out what was said and clarify it. If that is what the doctor said, then he needs more training. On another thread someone suggested that everyone should listen to the professionals. Then you come here and read this and no wonder I disagreed with that sentiment.

😡

If you want to make a difference to the next diabetic that doctor comes across, then I recommend you point them to this topic via a letter to their boss. That probably appears horribly confrontational and direct, but so important to give them a chance to change and learn from their mistake.

I put a reply in the other thread re this.
Are you sure that was what was said? I see some adjustments were made to your evening and night ratio's so any chance he actually said 1 or 2 tests would be fine.......at night

Before making a judgement I would phone tomorrow and clarify if you did hear correctly or miss understood easily done (hence why I always take my hubby in, two ears are better than one)

If it happens to be correct, I would be asking for a full explination to why they think it's suitable, because even the manfacturers say a mim of testing 4 times a day, which allows the diabetic to dose according there BG before meals and check before bedtime!

I don't know what your testing regime is per day, but if you are testing two frequently between meals you could be over-correcting your data, under these circumstances reducing some of the testing could improve your control by given a clearer pitcure..

I would give a phone tomorrow, and if you'll not happy with what they say, ask for another appointment with the pump nurse to disguse your control and it's methods etc..

P.S I did mean two pairs of ears, last time I looked we both had two each..

Last edited:
Pumper_Sue, I think you could be right. Maybe I misheard and he ment 1 or 2 tests at night. Even so he should have made sure I understood, what he meant, before appointment ended. My pump nurse phoned me today and told me to carry on testing as I am, 6 to 7 times a day. Does anyone else get really worked up before d appointments? My blood pressure was through the roof when the nurse did it. I told her to let me sit for a while and it would be ok. I think it's called white coat syndrome!!!! Sure enough when the doc did it it was ok. Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

Pumper_Sue, I think you could be right. Maybe I misheard and he ment 1 or 2 tests at night. Even so he should have made sure I understood, what he meant, before appointment ended. My pump nurse phoned me today and told me to carry on testing as I am, 6 to 7 times a day. Does anyone else get really worked up before d appointments? My blood pressure was through the roof when the nurse did it. I told her to let me sit for a while and it would be ok. I think it's called white coat syndrome!!!! Sure enough when the doc did it it was ok. Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

I'm so pleased you got this sorted out and what a nice DSN to ring you and let you know. You know, I guess you could have misheard him if you were worked up before the appointment, easy done.
🙂

That's awesome news, glad your fears have been laid to rest now. What about getting a BP meter for home? They're not so expensive, and then you could keep a log to show them, thus avoiding the white coat syndrome.

Hi Spiritfree,

It is sometimes difficult to remember to ask everything you want at clinic because you get yourself wound up with nerves and then sometimes might misunderstand the information that is given - but at least you looked into it and now know the answer.🙂Bev

*Stick my hand up*

I'm another one who suffers from the 'White coat syndrom'!

I have several factors that tends to stress me out before a clinic visits..

I hate hopsitals
Parking at the hospital is a nightmare
Then had I naturally get very stressed if there's even a whiff of being late for my appointment (any appointment or start time for work etc)

And when I was going to clinic every 3 months when I was battling for my pump, boy did this stress me out before hand LOL..

My sugury have been very good with me, and over they years I'm relaxed with the DSN and other nurses, so I used there BP, more so because our sugery do it the old fashion way, which gives more reliable reading...

Glad to hear it was a slight missunderstanding, and yes sometimes we do have to ring back, to double check did we understand it correctly or did we mishear something.. But they never mind if you querry something...

The only time I had White Coat Syndrome was when I went for the appointment in which the consultant was going to tell me if he was going to apply for pump funding or not, it was ridiculously high! Normally I am textbook perfect BP, so I knew it was down to the stress!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. It really helps to have someone who understands what we all have to go through.

Spiritfree,

From one person to another who has a pump and an Hba1c with a mind of its own I really feel for you. I feel the same as what you put at the top of the thread. You are not alone.

Its also so easy to get the wrong end of something in a consultation. Im glad you got it clarified. What a relief!

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back