Test strips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carob

Hi all I have a question that may seem silly to you all but what should we be doing with the used test strips, up to now they have just gone in with the general rubbish but should they be classed as clinical waste and maybe go in with the lancets in the sharps bin?
Thanks in advance.
Carol

Hi Carob mine have always just gone in with the household waste and i dont see a problem with that.But i guess they do have blood on so could be classed as clinical waste.

Hardly likely to penetrate someone's skin. tissues and sticking plasters can have blood and they just go in the waste, so carry on putting them there.

I just chuck mine away in the normal rubbish 🙂 Shame we can't just wash them and use them again!

Technically because they have blood on them they are clincal waste. I put mine in the cna't be recycled bin, which I am told is incenerated. Plasters also have blood and all kinds of other gunk on them and they go in the bin too. I think things like sanitary towels and nappies are also considered clinical waste and they go in the can't be recycled bin.

I treat used blood glucose strips the same as used sanitary items - at home wrapped in plastic bags in general waste for landfill, in sanitary waste bins if available; never down toilet.
The rules for disposal of waste are different for domestic and trade waste - so disposable nappies can be placed in general waste for landfill at a house, but are treated as clinical waste at a nursery.

Last edited:
mine just go in with the household rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back