Test results day

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinX123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I just phoned the surgery and rather than letting them give me the usual "they are all normal Dr doesnt want to see you" I actually asked what the numbers were. Now what I want to know is are they good or not!!

HbA1c - 6.2 (not a clue what last time was!)
Total cholesterol 3.0 (thats down from 3.3 last time)
BG 7.5 which got a comment of "slightly raised" think i was 6.8 last time

No-one at the surgery has ever really explained what the HbA1c number should be hence I am asking you guys. Your all way more reliable than the surgery! One thing I have noticed since I started testing myself again is that when I start to feel weird my BG has only barely dropped below 6. Which I thought was what I was aiming to get it to most of the time, has anyone else experience this? Is it just my body trying to get used to me actually making an effort to stay lower now?

Any advice greatly appreciated

So I just phoned the surgery and rather than letting them give me the usual "they are all normal Dr doesnt want to see you" I actually asked what the numbers were. Now what I want to know is are they good or not!!

HbA1c - 6.2 (not a clue what last time was!)
Total cholesterol 3.0 (thats down from 3.3 last time)
BG 7.5 which got a comment of "slightly raised" think i was 6.8 last time

No-one at the surgery has ever really explained what the HbA1c number should be hence I am asking you guys. Your all way more reliable than the surgery! One thing I have noticed since I started testing myself again is that when I start to feel weird my BG has only barely dropped below 6. Which I thought was what I was aiming to get it to most of the time, has anyone else experience this? Is it just my body trying to get used to me actually making an effort to stay lower now?

Any advice greatly appreciated

WELL DONE STARBANANA !!

The HbA1c is your BG over last 3 months I started at 7.8 and now down to 6.4 and my team were delighted!! so 6.2 im sure is excellant...good to see colestral on way down aswell..mine was 3.4 last time so again your up on me !!!!!
I also feel weried if i go into 5s usually before i eat and yes your right its your body getting used to it!!!

Your definately on the right track!!

Well done you your results are excellent! If you look at the top of the page there is a link to HBA1c explanation on DUK website. The target A1c is below 6.5% and cholesterol below 4, so you've reached both those targets!

Yep you are right it's your body getting used to the lower levels, keep it up!

wow well done banana thats brill xx WOOOOOOOOOOO

Can't add much to what's already been said, except CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Good that you decided to ask for the numbers - not sure why they often seem reluctant to tell you as my DSN said we should know all our numbers. 6.2% is great! As sofaraway said, once you get used to generally lower levels, the hypo-like symptoms will disappear. Well done!:D

..there is a link to HBA1c explanation on DUK website..
Thanks for that I hadnt noticed it! lol

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments :D nice to know im doing good - from the people who actually know what they are talking about :D

Great results Starbanana - irrespective of what your last results were!

Sounds as though you might get below 6 next time and into the 5% Club!

Stick with whatever you are doing - you know it makes sense!

Best wishes - John

So I just phoned the surgery and rather than letting them give me the usual "they are all normal Dr doesnt want to see you" I actually asked what the numbers were.

Good on you for insisting!! When I went to get my results last week, the receptionist read two figures out to me and said there was no need to see a doctor. But as the doc told me last time to come in and talk about them and also, I've only been diabetic for 3 months and this was my first time back since diagnosis, I did want to discuss ALL the results (not just two of them!).

But anyway, GREAT figures, well done, hope you're very proud of yourself.

xx

Congratulations Starbanana - as you know by now, they are excellent numbers. Not so good comments to whoever you spoke to on the phone - they should have given you the ranges and meanings of the results as well as your numbers.

Not so good comments to whoever you spoke to on the phone - they should have given you the ranges and meanings of the results as well as your numbers.

One step at a time 😉 I will get them to be useful and more helpful at some point in the future!!

Helen I always get similar, the Dr makes me mildly hopeful by saying we will do the tests and then get together to chat & then I get told "Normal, Dr doesnt need to see you" Last time I put my foot down and went to chat to the Dr & she pointed me in this direction as she couldnt help with the way I was feeling. I have learnt that you have to insist on these things or they seem to palm you off with minimum input.

Well Done Starbanana...:D

6.2 is brilliant! Keep up the good work!!!

What a lot of people don't realise is that at a certain number, the risk of diabetes related complications increases sharply.

Take a look at the HbA1c link at the very top of the page to see what DiabetesUK has to say about it.

Don't let doctor's surgery receptionists fob you off... If you want answers get them!

So how are you going to celebrate such a good number...?

So how are you going to celebrate such a good number...?

Pie, chips, beer. followed by ice cream with haribo on top 😉 hehe

Might buy myself a starbucks after I go swimming today, they are always a tatsy treat. Apart from that the warm fuzzy feeling of doing good is enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back