Tesco should not be responsible for tackling the UK’s diabetes crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tesco’s Clubcard is heralded as retail’s most successful deployment of big data. If supermarkets collect data on their customers’ every purchase, they can ruthlessly mine it to push them to spend that extra 50p.

Every month or so, Tesco sends me vouchers. Alcohol is profitable, it implies, so we’d like to see you buy more of that this quarter – 150 extra points should do it; 45p off potatoes; exactly 2.272 litres of milk for free; 65 extra points for coffee; 25p off bread. We have calculated precisely what it will take to make you come back. We have intelligence on your cheese intake and we intend to exploit it.

The other week was different. Along with the bonus booze points, my envelope of “11 coupons chosen just for you” contained a voucher for a diabetes check. What does Tesco know that I don’t?

In fact, Tesco sent the diabetes check voucher to every customer. Launched in 2007, it has a health check service to promote a new partnership with a diabetes charity.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/oct/15/tesco-tackling-diabetes-crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back