TENS machine for period pain and pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkie88

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Pronouns
He/Him
My DD struggles with severe period pains - bought a warming/TENS machine from a high street chemist - no indication on the box of any issue.

Inside - the information leaflet says do not use if you have an insulin pump.

Currently using Medtronic 780G and Libre 2. On waiting list for Guardian sensor (HCL).

I imagine the electric impulses generated by the machine are pretty small. Assuming she uses a cannula site away from her lower tummy and doesn’t have her pump clipped next to the machine whilst it is operating I struggle to see the potential issues? Anyone have any experience of using one whilst on a pump?

Thanks

Not a TENS machine but I use a Slendertone belt which also works by electrical impulses, haven’t had any issues. I don’t use a sensor though and am not on a closed loop system so that might make a difference.

Had issue with sciatica couple of years back which persisted despite exercise stretching & everything else in between, bought TENS machine which helped immensely, I'm pump user & never noticed it affecting pump or bg levels for that matter, but best check with Dr or Consultant if unsure.

I’d check too @Yorkie88 As she has a tubed pump, I’d place the pump away from the TENS machine too just for reassurance.

As an aside, I find a good thing for period pain is one of those stick-on heat pads on the back, eg Cura Heat.

I’d check too @Yorkie88 As she has a tubed pump, I’d place the pump away from the TENS machine too just for reassurance.

As an aside, I find a good thing for period pain is one of those stick-on heat pads on the back, eg Cura Heat.
Yeah in our house we both use hot water bottles for period cramps. A cuddle with a cat helps too

I wonder if it’s more a theoretical concern, which it is simply impossible and impractical for device manufacturers to spend the resources investigating across all varieties of TENS machines, so it becomes easier just to say “no” so that they aren’t liable?

Sometimes I do wonder about the phrasing used by device manufacturers in their warnings and alerts. Even field safety notices… Some of them read a bit like

Warning… Do not get frustrated with your pump, disconnect it and put it in the bin. Disconnecting your pump and putting it in the bin can result in interruption to your insulin supply, which can lead to uncontrolled glucose levels, and potential DKA etc etc”

Blimey Mike, that's a thing that had never occurred to me until you mentioned it - fancy lobbing your insulin pump in the bin disrupting your insulin supply!!

Wonder if that's definitely or just possibly? o_O 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back