Ten-minute consultations 'must go', says NHS England director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The age of 10-minute GP appointments ‘has got to go’, as the limit is ‘unsafe’, a senior director of NHS England has said.

Speaking at the main debate rounding up the Pulse Live conference in London today, Dr Mike Bewick, NHS England’s deputy medical director, said this must ‘undoubtedly’ happen.

However GPC chair Dr Chaand Nagpaul said GPs could not lengthen consulations without reducing patient access to appointments.

Responding to a question from the floor, Dr Bewick said: ‘I think the age of the ten-minute appointment has got to go, undoubtedly. As a commissioner, I think it is unsafe as well.’

‘I think you have got to manage what comes in through the door as well, at least make an attempt to put something in that stops people getting through in cases where self care would have been more appropriate.’

‘I think that requires training, as an issue for practices, not necessarily for individual GPs, and probably a training issue for larger providers of general practice.’

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/pu...ngland-director/20006587.article#.U2E7YPldWAg

(free registration)

I beg his pardon? You have to wait 3 weeks to see certain doctors in our practice! OK if you have a non-specific prob (a verruca, athletes foot, a sore throat etc_) any old GP will do but when it's diabetes? 'OOOh no, Mrs C, you'll have to see Dr Bloggs for that, he'll be in one day next January and he has a slot at 07.50, then nothing for the next 3 weeks ......'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back