Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

smudger0

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Probably not related at all but has anyone noticed when you found out you have diabetes that you also had a problem with temperature control. I have found since december 2008 that i get cold much easier than before. I was known jokingly in the family as the one who would wear shorts in the depths of winter when snow on the ground. More recently i appear to get cold much quicker and have to wear more clothing than i used to. Suppose it could just be old age. (34)

Probably not related at all but has anyone noticed when you found out you have diabetes that you also had a problem with temperature control. I have found since december 2008 that i get cold much easier than before. I was known jokingly in the family as the one who would wear shorts in the depths of winter when snow on the ground. More recently i appear to get cold much quicker and have to wear more clothing than i used to. Suppose it could just be old age. (34)

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Feeling cold is a symptom of underactive thyroid. Out of wack blood sugars can make you feel cold too.
So if diagnosed recently you will prob still be having problems sorting out your blood sugar.

I've definitely noticed a change in my reaction to temperature. Like you, I was renowned for wearing short sleeves on freezing days - I used to get told off by old ladies in the street for not wearing a coat!:D Since I was diagnosed last May I have found it very difficult to keep warm (costing me a fortune on the heating bills!). I'm 50, by the way, so you're still a young whippersnapper...🙂

Are you on any medication? My problems in the summer were due to beta-blockers, once I had stopped taking those my 'core' temperature improved. Also, there's a possibility that lower blood pressure can result in you feeling colder - again, I am on blood pressure medication which has lowered it quite a lot. I've also found that my extremities (fingers, toes and nose) can go qite numb with cold very quickly. I only feel truly warm when I've been under the duvet for a few hours!🙂

Bear in mind too, of course, that this winter is colder than we've had in recent times, so that's bound to have an effect! Roll on spring!!!

I've always had a dodgy thermostat. Cold when everyone else is warm, or warm when everyone else is complaining about the cold!! But it's got worse since I started on heart drugs (inc beta-blockers) 3 years ago. I can still be the one in a t-shirt on a "cold" day (sometimes), but now quite small exertions produce pouring sweat, especially on my face.

The Metoprolol I have been taking since T2 diag in November don't seem to have changed this. Only yesterday I came home sweating like a pig from a walk, and a couple of hours later I was shivering under a blanket on the sofa and turning the heating up!! Weird!

I was known for going blue in the cold as a skinny teenager and into my twenties, usually in extreme situations eg kayak capsize drill in lake in November, going in North Sea at Easter, up hills in northern England in winter, expedition to East Greenland etc. So, one of the bonuses of growing older, which may or may not be related to getting T1 diabetes aged 30 years, was putting on a bit of insulation, although still not over BMI 25. I still prefer cold climates over heat, though.

But, there's a good quote in outdoor activities circles - there's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothing! That includes things like varying thickness of gloves and head covering eg buffs / headovers; trchnical T shirts / thermal underwear to wick sweat; woolly socks - layers, keep fett warm even if wet. A mug of hot drink works well to warm up - warms hands then insides.

Since diagnosis and for a while before, I had lost weight and had put feeling cold down to that. If it looks like being cold out, I now wrap up warm and go no place without hats gloves and scarves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back