Temperature at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunflowerMama

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I was thinking, the diabetic nurse said the weather or cold can affect blood sugar levels. So, I was wondering, as ot gets colder, do we need to monitor my son's nighttime bedroom temperature more to prevent lows? He has been ok at night lately.

I'm T2, not T1 so this might not be helpful. The temperature at night hasn't been an issue for me as I'm wrapped up warm with an extra blanket, but I have noticed some lower numbers (not by much) in all of my pre lunch finger pricks on colder days, I've had more values in the 4s, while it's been colder than I have before that and my breakfast is identical.

An extra mid morning snack (crackers and cheese) and some hot squash to drink on cold days is putting my pre lunch numbers back on 5-6 again.

I was thinking, the diabetic nurse said the weather or cold can affect blood sugar levels. So, I was wondering, as ot gets colder, do we need to monitor my son's nighttime bedroom temperature more to prevent lows? He has been ok at night lately.

Possibly in theory but unless his bedroom is very cold, he should be ok. I find the effect of the cold is more during the daytime. I don’t remember it ever affecting me at night. Of course, we’re all different so just keep it in your mind but don’t worry too much about it. To be honest, so many things can potentially cause hypos, I just keep ‘watch out for hypos’ in my head all the time.

Does he have a Libre or Dexcom? If so, the alarms should alert you. If you’re concerned, you could set the Low alarm slightly higher so you’ll alerted earlier.

I’ve never noticed an association between winter / cooler temps and overnight lows either.

If anything it’s higher temperatures, eg in the summer, which I associate with increased hypo risk

I'm the same as @everydayupsanddowns but it has normally only happened in a 'dramatic' way when going to eg The Canaries in the winter months when it's freezing here and red hot there - or southern Crete the last week/fortnight in September/early October after a 'normal' summer here in the UK and high 30's there and of course taking much more exercise walking to places, swimming - and not eating all that much starchy carb.

Possibly in theory but unless his bedroom is very cold, he should be ok. I find the effect of the cold is more during the daytime. I don’t remember it ever affecting me at night. Of course, we’re all different so just keep it in your mind but don’t worry too much about it. To be honest, so many things can potentially cause hypos, I just keep ‘watch out for hypos’ in my head all the time.

Does he have a Libre or Dexcom? If so, the alarms should alert you. If you’re concerned, you could set the Low alarm slightly higher so you’ll alerted earlier.
Yes, he has libre all calibrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back