Tell Me About It: My husband hasn?t been the same since his diabetes diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Q After finally getting my husband to the GP with months of nagging, we found out he has Type 2 diabetes. I was relieved that we knew what was wrong at last.

But he has gone off the deep end. He has developed an obsession with reversing it, is exercising like a fanatic and starving himself, is putting his faith in ?miracle? cures that invariably disappoint, worries constantly about the unpleasant complications down the road and compulsively tells everyone who will listen about his diagnosis.

I keep trying to reassure him, to get him to concentrate on the positives in his life. He has had no serious complications yet. He should enjoy our life as a family to the full for the few years we have left before the kids leave the nest.

But the more I try to calm him down, the more obsessive he gets. He is on a constant binge of self-denial and martyrdom, and has completely sworn off drinking and eating his favourites. It really takes the fun out of celebrations for everyone else in the family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...e-same-since-his-diabetes-diagnosis-1.1661785

Blimey its if my missus has sent that post l can really relate to all that has been written self denial and martyrdom thats definitely me its took over my life and always on my mind to the point of really hissing my close family off cheers David Charliewatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back