1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Telephone Diabetes Review

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by MarkGeordie, Sep 13, 2019.

1. MarkGeordie

MarkGeordie Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Has anyone else come across diabetes reviews done via the telephone instead of face to face?

I usually get mine with the nurse at the surgery and they are in person.

Received my latest appointment In the post and It says I will receive a call on a specific date and time and it will be done over the telephone.

I’m a bit annoyed as I think it should be in person.

Are there any guidelines in regards to this?

Should I approach the GP practice for an explanation?

2. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I'd like to see them try to check your feet over the telephone!

KARNAK, SB2015 and silentsquirrel like this.
  3. Guzzian

Guzzian Well-Known Member

Type 1
    No, but one time I went for my annual review and to my surprise I was called in by my GP.

"Hello Guzzian, I will be doing your reviews in future." he said.
    "You will have to bare with me though, you probably know more about it than I do"

Yes, that really happened, needless to say I have changed surgeries.

KARNAK and SB2015 like this.
  4. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    :eek:

Well at least he was honest.

I bet you scarpered at warp speed as I would have done.

5. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    You get annual reviews?
    Wow - I just got told that I have been having them for decades.
    Perhaps I should never have mentioned that my memory was bad - though I did not tell them that because of that I keep a detailed diary and after going through several back numbers, there is no appointment for an annual review recorded.
    Since diagnosis with diabetes I have had 'your diabetes is great but we'd like you to take a statin' interviews a couple of times now.
    Perhaps we should try to be grateful for any attention at all.

KARNAK likes this.
  6. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    For anyone with Diabetes it is essential for our feet to be checked, in order to pick up any developments of neuropathy early. That can’t be done over the phone.

If they suggested this to me I would phone and say no thanks, I would like a face-to-face appointment. Mind you when the nurses were told by the manager to phone all people with diabetes I using test kits and tell them to switch to machines with cheaper strips, they flipped a coin to see who would phone me! I saved them some time, when I explained that there was no point in asking people who are on a pump as these are linked and ‘talk to each other’. They decided to leave anyone with T1 alone.

KARNAK and everydayupsanddowns like this.
  7. MarkGeordie

MarkGeordie Member

Type 1
    Oh I should clarify that we don’t get our feet checked at the surgery or bloods done, they are done elsewhere and we are requested to do this two weeks before our appointment.

Just annoyed that I still done get a face to face with the surgery nurse though and that they haven’t consulted us.

8. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    That makes it a bit better. I sometimes prefer to get a telephone appointment with GP but I think I would still like face to face for D reviews.

9. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Take a look at Diabetes UK’s 15 healthcare essentials. It should give you an idea of what checks and support you should be getting every year.

I have seen research into telephone appointments and I think they can be very effective for some things - for one thing you don’t have to fuss about making the trip to the clinic or pay for parking. But some face to face time each year (toe tickling and eye squinting) will also be needed IMO.