Teenage son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siannie 49

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son is 16yr diagnosed a yer and a half ago. He's on MDI, and libre 2. He's started college in September. He's started not checking his libre 2 or accu chek Meter throughout the day. Just randomly give a few units of insulin for his food he eats, not Checking to see what his bloods are. I think this is so dangerous and am I right to be worried... His levels lately hasn't been in range for a long time. When I ask why he hasn't checked he says I don't know. He's injected in front of his mates loads of time. Don't know why he won't now. I'm worried. Wish I could d take this diabetes away from him. Please can I have sone advice. I'm at my wits end. Haven't spoken to the nurse yet. Got a consultation app next month.

Do keep his team in the loop. It’s not uncommon for teens to go through phases of being lax about their monitoring or insulin and the team are well placed to talk to them about it. If he check his numbers in the morning and at bedtime then that gives you a decent idea of where he’s at and will mean you can spot anything getting too out of hand. It’s worth having a word with college too as they may be able to offer him some support (although he may just see that as more fuss).

Thanks for your advice and reply. I will speak to the nurse for some advice. I don't really know what else I can do to help him. Wish I could turn back time and he didn't have T1. Thx again.

Siannie - his team are there to help you as well as your son!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back