Teenage girl died of insulin overdose after injecting herself with boyfriend's pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A teenage girl who took a fatal overdose of insulin may have been taking it in a bid to lose weight, an inquest heard.

Charlie Dunne, 19, injected herself with an insulin pen belonging to diabetic boyfriend Terence Rhoden while he was at hospital.

He later found her collapsed at their home in Atherton, Greater Manchester when he returned five hours later on December 17.

Charlie was taken to hospital but died six days later after suffering brain damage as a result of the overdose.

Detectives later investigated claims by the girl’s family that Mr Rhoden, 28, confessed to injecting Charlie with insulin after hearing it helped weight loss.

But officers found no evidence Mr Rhoden himself was involved in his girlfriend’s death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-diabetic-boyfriend-s-pen-cry-attention.html

Very sad :(

Miss Dunne would help give him injections and was taught how to administer the injections in case he had an attack

Eh? An attack of what? Once again, people are being misled into thinking that insulin would help with a hypo 🙂

He asked me why Charlie would take insulin and I said the only thing I have heard is people take it to lose weight.

It's a shame they didn't clarify this as well, as it is totally incorrect but could lead someone to try it themselves :(

I remember a few years ago, reading an autobiography by the guy who was New York City's Chief Forensic Examiner (or whatever his title was) at the time of the Klaus von Bulow case; he revealed that Sunny von Bulow was one of a number of New York socialites who abused insulin in an attempt to lose weight. 😱 Their "logic" apparently was, type 1 diabetics need to inject insulin and they are generally thin, therefore insulin promotes weight loss. 🙄 Which of course, as all type 1s and many type 2s know, is utter nonsense; insulin is a growth hormone (which is why it's banned at the Olympics, except by special dispensation following proof of medical need), type 1s are generally thin because their insulin is only enough to cover their food intake, which is only enough to cover their immediate energy needs. Injecting insulin which your body doesn't need would probably cause weight gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back