1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Techy query about fonts and colour

Discussion in 'Off the subject...' started by Pine Marten, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Pine Marten

Pine Marten Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    The very faint grey font used here (particularly under the thread titles seems fainter than ever. Windows 10 appears to have updated and changed some of my colours anyway and I've been fiddling about trying to get back to my preferred colours but I can't do it.

Have I messed up here because of the fiddling? I am extremely non-techy so I need very simple answers if they exist. Thank you.

If there is a way of darkening fonts here I'd be glad to know anyway.

2. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I am finding similar too, I thought it was just me

Pine Marten likes this.
  3. robert@fm

robert@fm Well-Known Member

Type 2
    The Firefox browser has an add-on called Dark Reader, which turns light web pages to light text on a black background.:) I have been using it for a month or two, and find it helps readability enormously.

SB2015 likes this.
  4. AndBreathe

AndBreathe Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Pine Marten, another forum I am involved with has elected to give members a couple of options for how they view the content. It doesn't support a full set of Windows style themes, but just a couple of options.

A while ago, there were some tweaks to those colourways, in order to comply with some accessibility guidelines which helped some, and impacted others less favourably.

I wonder if Diabetes UK has any way to help you.

5. Thebearcametoo

Thebearcametoo Well-Known Member

Parent
    I would love a night mode option or similar on the forum. I always choose that option where I can as it helps with my visual processing issues. I haven’t noticed any colour changes on my iPad though.

robert@fm likes this.
  6. Docb

Docb Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I have this theory that screen design is done by trendy young things with brilliant eyesight and very good computers with superb displays. To them resolving subtle shades of grey is not a problem. They don't seem to understand that not everybody can see the world as they see it or has their level of kit. A bit more thought would not go amiss.

Pine Marten and robert@fm like this.
  7. Pine Marten

Pine Marten Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Thanks, all - I found someone's suggestion online to use High Contrast on the Settings thing and that helps a bit, but Windows in their wisdom chose grey font and grey it is and ever shall be.

I think it's true that all these graphics are designed by young Tristrams who have no common sense. We went to an exhibition recently where the captions were lighter red on a darker red, lighter blue on a darker blue, and so on. Mr Marten could barely read them, and I found it irritating. I spent years working in Exhibitions at the British Library, and we used black fonts on white backgrounds. Easy to read. Simples.

robert@fm likes this.
  8. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    I think this is something that @Josh DUK and his team could look into. It's hardly an obscure fact that many of our members do not possess 20/20 vision, for a variety of reasons, and being able to tailor the appearance and presentation of the forum would be a good thing :) Personally, I've always felt that the colour of 'clickable' text is far too subtle in contrast to the ordinary text colour.

9. Eddy Edson

Eddy Edson Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Does the XenForo software used here have an option to allow users to customise colours etc for themselves? It seems like it should pretty easy for the admins to make board-wide changes, but I guess it's not so easy to land on something that everybody is comfortable with.

10. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure it does :)

11. Josh DUK

Josh DUK Administrator Staff Member

Other Type
    I will let the team know if we can make any changes in a future update.

12. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    What I would like that know is that when I use the computer to access the forum, the smiley button brings up a list of forums. All the other buttons work fine. And all work fine on the iPad. Anybody else find this? (Windows 10, dx12).

13. Andy HB

Andy HB Senior Member

Yes on one of my computers I have a similar problem. My other computer works fine. I haven't tried clearing the browser cache yet though. That may fix it.

Edit:
    Nope, clearing the cache makes no difference. :(

I am running Chrome on both machines with Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362, strangely.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. Andy HB

Andy HB Senior Member

Any thoughts on this from the forum techy types? It is still a problem on one of my computers and presumably for mikeyb as well. :)

15. Ralph-YK

Ralph-YK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    People used to be able to set font, typeface, size and colour of text, along with background colour. This would apply to all website. Then style sheets and various ways for web creaters to control such thing :). And theses override settings in the browsers :(