Teatime biscuits

Pookie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anybody have any delicious healthy recipes for a biscuit to have with my cup of tea in the afternoon? Something with loads of nuts and seeds and maybe some 80% dark chocolate? I'm not a cook but I really want to try something....

Does anybody have any delicious healthy recipes for a biscuit to have with my cup of tea in the afternoon? Something with loads of nuts and seeds and maybe some 80% dark chocolate? I'm not a cook but I really want to try something....
Have a look on sugarfreelondoner website or I have a third of a Nature Valley Protein nut bar but a whole one is about 12g carbs. Graze or KIND protein bars are also good.

First of all hello and welcome to the forum @Pookie...secondly do go to the sugarfreelondoner website as it has some great sugar free recipes on it...and third and last of all do try a cereal bar such as Graze and my personal favourite KIND...they are both great.

I like the nuts and raisins mix from Waitrose: no chocolate in it though :(

First of all hello and welcome to the forum @Pookie...secondly do go to the sugarfreelondoner website as it has some great sugar free recipes on it...and third and last of all do try a cereal bar such as Graze and my personal favourite KIND...they are both great.
Thanks so much for that! I've seen them at petrol stations and will give them a go!

I think @Martin62 is a bit of a dab hand at some low carb and low sugar recipes and baking, maybe he might have some recommendations?

I have a daily Bounce peanut butter protein ball approx 14 carbs, which is more than doable and delicious

It's not so much the biscuit, it's more the nibbling!
Much as I might want to demolish several packets of custard creams, here is my solution -

Oatcakes --
There are various brands & makes, but typically they will have about 55% carbs of which 1% is sugar -
that's about 5 or 6g carbs per cake of which < 0,5g is sugar

Have them dry; or with a smear of Marmite, or cheese, fruit, cucumber, tomato, hard boiled egg, peanut butter, ham, salami, and anything else you might think of
You could even have them with a piece of high cocoa chocolate to make your own choccy biccy in situ

Shop around for prices and variations, with seeds, cheese etc.

I've recently had rice cakes, which are similarly low in carb & sugar, though you might not like the texture
A few days ago I bought a couple of packets of Fibre One 90 Calorie cookies, which I have yet to try; they do have slightly more sugar though, so I'll see how my bg goes.

Search the biscuit shelves in supermarkets and there are often low sugar versions, but I haven't checked the nutrition figures

Last edited:
I like rice cakes, always had them pre diagnosis, but DN banned them......along with any form of crackers / biscuits / oatcakes with cheese. Now, I don't exactly know how many she thought I was going to eat at one go, but I check the carbs on the packet and I have them. The crackers that are prepackaged in threes are good, less temptation and I usually have both in the cupboard . Looked at the sugar free site for cookies etc, but don't drink tea and have never been used to a biscuit with a cuppa. Nice ideas but don't think I'll change now, however I am going to have an investigation about the ingredients and maybe make some for my Market.

I like rice cakes, always had them pre diagnosis, but DN banned them......along with any form of crackers / biscuits / oatcakes with cheese. Now, I don't exactly know how many she thought I was going to eat at one go, but I check the carbs on the packet and I have them. The crackers that are prepackaged in threes are good, less temptation and I usually have both in the cupboard . Looked at the sugar free site for cookies etc, but don't drink tea and have never been used to a biscuit with a cuppa. Nice ideas but don't think I'll change now, however I am going to have an investigation about the ingredients and maybe make some for my Market.
Oh, that's odd. The nurse at my surgery suggested cracker with peanut butter Great idea

Some DNs seem to think people are incapable of looking at the information on packets to make a good choice about which cracker is better than another.
However, having worked in the NHS (albeit not in the field of diabetes) myself for more than 20 years, I know that clinicians have to give advice that's based on recognised best practice: it is only advice, so of course people are free to disregard or adapt it. Imagine though the (possibly career-ending) fuss that people would make if clinicians gave advice other than best practice?

However, having worked in the NHS (albeit not in the field of diabetes) myself for more than 20 years, I know that clinicians have to give advice that's based on recognised best practice: it is only advice, so of course people are free to disregard or adapt it. Imagine though the (possibly career-ending) fuss that people would make if clinicians gave advice other than best practice?
Don't get me wrong those working in the NHS have a difficult job in persuading people that their diet really is not suitable if they have Type 2 and even the Eat Well Plate is going to be better that what they are doing.
The sad thing is that many people who come into the profession only seem to want to do the minimum and don't regard their career as one of continual learning. Some medical students are only interested in getting their skill ticked off not looking more deeply into it.
I have had a discussion with my son in law who is a GP and he was very resistant to recognising that there are many/ mature people being diagnosed with Type 1.

Some DNs seem to think people are incapable of looking at the information on packets to make a good choice about which cracker is better than another.
Ha ha, that is exactly what my sis says amongst oither choice comments.

Back