tearful

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Tonight i went to see Alex's school play. He was the Irishman.
Well, i couldnt believe my ears - he was brilliant! But even more than the accent - he actually sang SOLO!!!!!!!I actually sat and cried whilst i was watching him! (and i am not a person who turns on the taps easily!)😱
To be able to appreciate why this is so unusual for him, he has NEVER shown the slightest interest in being in plays etc at school. But in this play he had a leading roll!

After the play lots of parents approached me to say he was brilliant and they loved his singing voice and asked who in the family was Irish! We dont know any Irish people!

I know i will sound like a boring mum - but i am absolutely gobsmacked! He was SO confident, and given the fact that he is newly diagnosed - i would have thought, if anything, he would shy away from being in the limelight.

It seems that diabetes wont hold him back from anything.:D😉Bev

Hehe congrats. 🙂

Perhaps he really got into character and downed a few pints of Guinness? 😉

Whilst consuming packets of crisps for carbs of course. :D

wow well done alex :D

My brother did a similar thing when he was about Alex' age and even I was fighting back the tears! We had no idea he could sing and he sang like an angel - he was also very shy when he was younger. We have it on dvd and when I watch it back I still nearly cry (I am over-emotional though 😉).

Sounds like you have a very talented and confident young boy, Bev 🙂

wow well done alex :D

My brother did a similar thing when he was about Alex' age and even I was fighting back the tears! We had no idea he could sing and he sang like an angel - he was also very shy when he was younger. We have it on dvd and when I watch it back I still nearly cry (I am over-emotional though 😉).

Sounds like you have a very talented and confident young boy, Bev 🙂

Wow well done Alex, yep I would have cried buckets too.

Look at the difference between before Hoburne and after. I honestly think that when these children, like Alex, meet others who are the same as them and they see how they act and behave and realise its ok and its normal, you know what I mean. Hoburne may have been the push he needed but the rest has come from him. What a great kid you have there Bev, all credit to you ma dear 🙂

Well done Alex 🙂🙂🙂🙂 he is a credit to you Bev !!

aww well done to alex x really good to hear

Wow well done Alex, yep I would have cried buckets too.

Look at the difference between before Hoburne and after. I honestly think that when these children, like Alex, meet others who are the same as them and they see how they act and behave and realise its ok and its normal, you know what I mean. Hoburne may have been the push he needed but the rest has come from him. What a great kid you have there Bev, all credit to you ma dear 🙂

Adrienne
I think your abslutely right about Alex mixing with other children in the same boat. Alex was a bit shy about his diabetes before hoburne - and whilst he doesnt exactly flaunt it now - he is a lot more relaxed about it all.
If anyone is wondering whether or not its a good idea to go to one of these holidays Adrienne, i would tell them it could be life changing for their children.

And for any parents who read this thread - i would recommend getting together with other parents and children as it really does have a huge affect on the childrens confidence. If not a holiday, then just a chat and coffee would suffice - its all about making the child feel 'normal' again.

There are a group of us going to a place in Gloucester on 19th July - for a picnic and a fun day out at an adventure park, if anyone would like to join us - send me a pm and i will let you know the details.🙂Bev

Well done Alex! I would have cried too, Bev! As i have said before,our kids have more to cope with in life than non diabetci kids and so when they achieve something like Alex has, then it means so much more!

I second what Bev says as my son went on a weekend break, shortly after diagnosis, with a group of diabetic children on a trip arranged by a group of local dsn's from neighbouring counties and it did him the world of good. It was definatley a turning point for him which he has never looked back from. Spending 2 or 3 days with children doing exactly the same as you is just such a confident boost, you realise that you are not alone, there are all these other children who have to do the same. Every child had diabetes so suddenly you are in the majority not the minority.

Here's to a bright future for Alex and his lovely mom, Bev! 🙂🙂

A massive well done to Alex, it takes a lot of guts to stand up on stage and perform in fromt of a sea of parents, not to mention in front of your peers! And Bev, I think you're aloud to be tearful 🙂

Well done Alex, just proves you are as brilliant as we all think you are.

Bev tears are allowed, I'd have had a few tears of joy and proudness too, and I hate to cry in public.

Oh Bev, I've teared up just reading this! It's hard for anyone not in the same boat to realise how much our children have to deal with -- and how they strong they are to do so. The ability to reach beyond diabetes is a real show of character, and is a credit to your family.

That's just brilliant. Wonderful. Sniff!

We think we've detected in E a renewed sense of 'getting on with things' since diagnosis. I think maybe deep down he already realises that much of the way he feels about life, and getting satisfaction from it, is in his hands. He has had to make a decision that he won't let diabetes hold him back. Most kids don't have to make this decision; they learn about getting satisfaction and taking risks more gradually, and with less at stake.

I'm not saying this stepping forward and embracing life will last forever for our boys -- but it's a huge source of pride that they are able to do so at all. And long may it last.

I think it's Mand on her thread (?) who mentions a real openness and tolerance for difference and difficulty now with our kids -- I think this is true too. E was already pretty social justice oriented, pretty political, but he now wears his natural empathy and sympathy a bit more openly.

At diagnosis I couldn't think of any gain for E, none. I could think of nothing in this horrible situation that would enrich him. I'm not a great believer in hardship being necessary, having gone through quite a bit myself...8 months in and I think there are some glimmers.

Good on you, Alex. We're all proud of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back