Tea Bread/ Malt loaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakemaker

Relationship to Diabetes
My husband has a realy sweet tooth so I occasionally treat him to a cake or some such thing. He is still recovering from his op from last week and has been feeling a bit down so I made a tea bread for him today.
This is not a sweet cake but sweetish.
Tea breads are easy to make. Use whatever you have in the store cupboard.

I didn't weigh anything but these are the approx. ingredients.

1/2 pt of tea.
6oz dried fruit (I used prunes and apricots) (cut into sml. pieces)
2oz chopped nuts (I used almonds and hazlenuts)
1oz ground almonds
3 tblspns malt drink (I used Ovaltine)
1 egg whisked with a fork
6oz wholewheat self raising flour
1 tblspn brown sugar

Make the tea in a big(ish) saucepan then add the dried fruit, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Leave to get cold(ish) add the nuts, egg, sugar and flour then simply mix well until the consistency is gooey and pour into a 1lb lined loaf tin. If it's too dry add a litle milk or too wet add a little more flour. Cook for approx 45 mins 180deg C
Cut into slices and serve as it is or buttered.

You can vary this by using different fruits and nuts. Nuts are optional. Use Horlicks instead of Ovaltine and for a variation I omit the malted drink and add 1 tspn cinnamon or mixed spice.

Last edited:
How many grams of carbohydrate in that lot? shedloads in flour, dried fruit and of course sugar, but not sure if you really need the sugar with all the fruit?

I reckon about 250g in total for the whole loaf, so how many slices would it cut into? Reason I ask is, unless it's only a reasonable amount of carbs per slice, I wouldn't bother making it.

I could make an equally carborific loaf using AllBran soaked in milk (cup of All Bran soaked overnight in a cup of milk, tomorrow add a cup of dried fruit and - a cup of brown sugar - slop it in a buttered loaf tin and bake for c. 35 mins - anyway until a skewer comes out nearly dry. Tip it out immediately onto a piece of foil and wrap it up very very tightly and the difficult bit now - leave it alone until tomorrow. It slices exactly like bought malt loaf, but it's better LOL

Doesn't matter the size of your cup as long as you use the same one to measure all ingredients.

So if I want a high carb treat, I can have that one. That's why I'd like to know!

How many grams of carbohydrate in that lot? shedloads in flour, dried fruit and of course sugar, but not sure if you really need the sugar with all the fruit?

I reckon about 250g in total for the whole loaf, so how many slices would it cut into? Reason I ask is, unless it's only a reasonable amount of carbs per slice, I wouldn't bother making it.

I could make an equally carborific loaf using AllBran soaked in milk (cup of All Bran soaked overnight in a cup of milk, tomorrow add a cup of dried fruit and - a cup of brown sugar - slop it in a buttered loaf tin and bake for c. 35 mins - anyway until a skewer comes out nearly dry. Tip it out immediately onto a piece of foil and wrap it up very very tightly and the difficult bit now - leave it alone until tomorrow. It slices exactly like bought malt loaf, but it's better LOL

Doesn't matter the size of your cup as long as you use the same one to measure all ingredients.

So if I want a high carb treat, I can have that one. That's why I'd like to know!

........ You are right of course, shed loads of carbs and sugar. I cut it into about 20 slices but haven't yet worked out how much the loaf and each slice is in carb and cal value. Perhaps I ought to re-think this recipe. I also add All Bran, Bran, Bran flakes, oats etc to this recipe and nuts so as to 'slow down' the digestion process.

That's one reason that I'm here to learn more about how to help my husband with his diabetes. Sometimes what seems like 'good food'; fruit, dried fruits, wholemeal flour etc is possitively bad for diabetics so it's a constant learning curve and I can learn a lot from this site.

I am a great fan of Mary Berry and glad to see her back on TV. She has a tea loaf recipe using All Bran which I tweak to suit. I have adapted some other recipes of hers but generally avoid any sort of baking now. I'll make an ommelette instead of quiche for example. It's only as an occasional treat or when my husband is feeling low that I make a cake.

We eat a lot of tomatoes and fruit and am aware that they contain sugars but didn't realise how bad they effected some people. It's difficult to cut back on these as my husband loves fruit and it has so many other 'good' qualities. I try to slow done the process by giving him cheese with an apple or pear and eat fruit straight after a meal as dessert.

I have never tried or heard of tea bread....might have to give it a go!

The Welsh call tea bread Barm Brack - you might get the picture if you look a recipe up for that.

Well as I said, I reckon the whole caboodle is around 250g carbs, so if it cuts into 20 slices, that's only 12.5g a slice give or take, so it ain't all that bad, if you can 'afford' another 12.5g of carb !

There's various cake recipes kicking about using ground almonds instead of flour, probably some on here but I know for a fact also quite a lot on

http://79.170.42.2/diabetes-support...e698b4545=fad26860d8bb3561b682381607233ede#c2

and

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-805/

There is no way I could trust myself to have just one slice! Do you reckon it would work if I split the mixture between 20 silicone cupcake cases? Maybe the day before a fete with a charity cake stall to take the other 18 (oops, I mean 19!). :D

There is no way I could trust myself to have just one slice! Do you reckon it would work if I split the mixture between 20 silicone cupcake cases? Maybe the day before a fete with a charity cake stall to take the other 18 (oops, I mean 19!). :D

Unfortunately this isn't a cake as such it's more like a loaf. You could halve the ingredients and share it with a few friends.

The Welsh call tea bread Barm Brack - you might get the picture if you look a recipe up for that.

Well as I said, I reckon the whole caboodle is around 250g carbs, so if it cuts into 20 slices, that's only 12.5g a slice give or take, so it ain't all that bad, if you can 'afford' another 12.5g of carb !

There's various cake recipes kicking about using ground almonds instead of flour, probably some on here but I know for a fact also quite a lot on

http://79.170.42.2/diabetes-support...e698b4545=fad26860d8bb3561b682381607233ede#c2

and

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-805/

I usually make this with whatever I have in the cupboard. I often use more ground almonds and less flour but yesterday I only had an oz left so had to use more flour. I've made it with ground hazlenuts as well and even fresh cut apple, orange zest and orange juice added to the tea and flavoured it with cinnamon or mixed spice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back