Tattoos & Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

scootdevon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello can anyone help me with this question?? Tattoos & diabetes, are there any greater risks of infections having more tattoos done now that im diabetic?? :confused: Some say yes theres a greater risk of infections and some say no. 🙄Many thanx for the replies 🙂

I was under the impression there is no greater risk of infection for a diabetic than a non diabetic. All the usual hygine precautions apply to equipment. The thing to remember is we take longer to heal.

I think there might be a link with type 1, as it's an auto-immune condition, and the risk of infection being as your immune system would be fighting off infections.

In 2007 I had lots of mosquito bites on my legs which became infected, the doctor reckoned it was because I'm type 1 - immune system not as strong, or something along those lines.

I didn't have a problem getting a Tattoo, and although there is a 'general rule' that a diabetic should take more care to avoid infection, there is really only a slightly higher risk to a diabetic then a non diabetic.

My tattoo healed faster then my Non-diabetic sister's tattoo did.

yep same with me, my tattoo healed a lot better than some of my friends ones did.

theres is always a risk with infections with anything the cuts into the skin, eg. tattoos and piercings but as long as the place you go to is hygenic and follows all the health and safety rules then it minimises that risk.
Its also down to your own immune system more than anything. just because u are diabetis doesn't mean you are auto immune, that is something that can develop witgh time and you can actually have tested by your doctor.
just consider how well you heal from paper cuts, cat scratches, grazes etc and that will hopefully reassure you as to how good your own immune system is🙂
hope that helps!

just because u are diabetis doesn't mean you are auto immune

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition caused by the body attacking the insulin producing part of the pancreas 🙂

edit: duh, I guess you mean type 2 isn't autoimmue.

Last edited:
I had my tattoo done 2 years ago and all I had to do was sign a form confirming I was diabetic.

I was told that it was to do with the risk of you going hypo whilst they were doing the tattoo.

I had my tattoo done 2 years ago and all I had to do was sign a form confirming I was diabetic.

I was told that it was to do with the risk of you going hypo whilst they were doing the tattoo.

I had to sign when i got my lip peirced , but not for the tattoo. Although i did drink nearly a whole bottle of lucozade...

I have three tattoos, never signed a form for them (did when i had my ears pierced), never had any problems with any of them either 🙂

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition caused by the body attacking the insulin producing part of the pancreas 🙂

edit: duh, I guess you mean type 2 isn't autoimmue.

sorry maybe i should explain this so you can understand.
Yes, diabetes is an autoimmune response but it is specific to the area of the pancreas and the job it does with insulin. But the body does not become auto immune all over, hence why when you get a cold you don't die from it! maybe i shouldn't say auto immune if that is too confusing and just say that you don't lose your immune system defences altogther when you become diabetic and you can live as a diabetic for years catching colds and getting tattoos without any healing problems because your immune system is working and not attacking itself.

sorry maybe i should explain this so you can understand.
Yes, diabetes is an autoimmune response but it is specific to the area of the pancreas and the job it does with insulin. But the body does not become auto immune all over, hence why when you get a cold you don't die from it! maybe i shouldn't say auto immune if that is too confusing and just say that you don't lose your immune system defences altogther when you become diabetic and you can live as a diabetic for years catching colds and getting tattoos without any healing problems because your immune system is working and not attacking itself.

It's fine, it's just the way you put it made it sound as if type 1 isn't autoimmune.

Thanx for the replies, I have 6 tat's already b4 dx and i want a koi carp half sleeve. 😎 I just thought i'd check it out b4 i went ahead. 🙄

Funnily enough I have just had my first tattoo this afternoon and was pondering the very same question 🙄 I had to sign a form saying I was diabetic but that was it...

you lot! Got me really thinkning of getting a tatt wont mention it to the wife just yet!!!

I was going to ask this - but a bit more specific. I've read on several sites that diabetics should not get tattooed below the waist (or knee, depending on which site you read). Due to circulation and longer healing times. My nondiabetic sister had tattoos on her feet recently, and they took much longer to heal than upper body tattoos. As a diabetic with tingly toes, would it be tempting fate for me to go ahead with my foot tattoo plans? I'd ask my doc, but I'm guessing the standard answer from the GPs will be "dont do it" regardless of diabetes or not!

I have got others planned too - but they're arms and neck. I just really want my lotus feet!

I have nearly all of my left leg from below the knee tattooed and have never had any problems, the only thing I do now is use bapanthen (nappy cream) to help the healing.

Ive never had problems with tat's b4 and i used to use savlon on my new tat's which dried and scabbed the tatoos, the last tat i had done i used bepanthen because it doesnt dry out ur tatoos and it helps keep it moist and the colour stays better in the tatoos 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back