Target glucose on CGM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilymay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I’m setting up my new free trail of the Libre 2 CGM. This is purely to get a better understand of what foods are spiking my blood sugars as currently using a glucose monitor nothing (carbs) is spiking my blood sugars.

I did an econsult from my surgery and they just replied with a paragraph basically saying Libre 2 isnt recommended to type 2 diabetic who’s don’t take insulin. So I’m stuck in limbo.

Just for some background, I’m 28, newly diagnosed with a HBA1C of 7.1

Does anyone have any ideas what my target should be?IMG_0952.png

Since your free trial is only for 14 days, I wouldn't bother changing the target limits. (I don't think most people ever change them!)

You may, however, like to do finger-prick tests to see how the figures compare with the Libre 2 values. My Libre 2 sensors seem to read about 2 mmol/L low, such that last night I was supposedly at about 3 mmol/L for most of the night, but wasn't having a hypo! Other Libre 2 users report a closer match between figures, or perhaps reading higher.

Don't forget that the Libre 2 is not measuring your blood glucose level, but the glucose level in your interstitial fluid, and, furthermore, there is a lag of perhaps 15 minutes between the two when your glucose levels are changing rapidly.
That said, you may find interesting results from specific foods, which is your intention.

3.9-10 is the standard target range

I know this is the standard range for Type 1. Is it the best range for type 2?
I've never noticed anyone making any distinction between the BG ranges for Type 2 and for Type 1.
My Diabetes Clinic certainly uses that range for me - a Type 2 (and proud of it!)...

I know this is the standard range for Type 1. Is it the best range for type 2?
Well it’s what I was advised when diagnosed t2

The last ones I saw (a long time ago!) for fingerstick monitoring were:

For T2
4.0 - 7.0 before meals and no higher than 8.5 by 2hrs after meals

For T1
5.0 - 7.0 before breakfast, 4.0 - 7.0 before other meals, a d no higher than 9.5 by 2hrs after meals

But yes, the CGM international consensus does more often seem to be 4-10.

See also:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back