Tango Orange Sugar Free Spikes Me Up!

Gal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else come across this? I'm type1 & recently got some tango orange sugar free pop. I'll have a can or 2 of pop on a weekend night.

Long story short, the tango orange sugar free rocketed my blood sugar past 18...

I tried having 1 again with my midweek meal to see what would happen & it spiked me again.

However!

I went hypo today. Blood dropped to 3.4 & I thought, okay! I'll see if this tango really is spiking me.

Sure enough, within 15 mins my blood sugar was back up to 5.6 (and rising).

No other sugar free pop does this to me. Not even other tango sugar free drinks.

Haven’t done SF tango in a while. Long before sensors. I guess you “know you got Tangoed,” some how. (Sorry, couldn’t help it.) I’ve had it with pump vended Diet Coke in a bar? Assumed the last vend was full sugar & hadn’t been pipe purged. Tend to go for bottled in pubs.
And welcome. Looks like your first post.

Last edited:
It's an odd one. They are cans, so...
Unless they accidentally did a run with full sugar & labelled it incorrectly?

But! Yes. Tangoed indeed.

It's just a bit weird. And when my bs shot past 18 it pissed me off no end. Because it was sugar free I couldn't figure out how much insulin to take. But as mentioned, it gets rid of my hypos.

And yes. First Post. Cheers

Anyone else come across this? I'm type1 & recently got some tango orange sugar free pop. I'll have a can or 2 of pop on a weekend night.

Long story short, the tango orange sugar free rocketed my blood sugar past 18...

I tried having 1 again with my midweek meal to see what would happen & it spiked me again.

However!

I went hypo today. Blood dropped to 3.4 & I thought, okay! I'll see if this tango really is spiking me.

No other sugar free pop does this to me. Not even other tango sugar free drinks.
The sweeteners in that are Acesulfame K and sucralose which is a different combination to something like Diet coke so it may be one of those that you are particularly sensitive to. That is if you are sure it was the sugarfree one. Check what sweeteners are in the ones you are OK with and see if you can pinpoint the problem one.

It's just a bit weird. And when my bs shot past 18 it pissed me off no end. Because it was sugar free I couldn't figure out how much insulin to take. But as mentioned, it gets rid of my hypos.

Wow, that number sounds a little past close to a disruption on my sensor reading. (Backed up by meter.) on a night out ordering D Coke from a buttoned pipe behind the bar? At first. I thought the bar person thought, “he don’t need diet.” An eagle sober eye spots the cans or bottles in the fridge with the wine. & says “no tap.”

The sweeteners in that are Acesulfame K and sucralose which is a different combination to something like Diet coke so it may be one of those that you are particularly sensitive to. That is if you are sure it was the sugarfree one. Check what sweeteners are in the ones you are OK with and see if you can pinpoint the problem one.
It's odd because, as said, I've had other tango SF products & it's definitely sugar free on the label.

Could you have a mild sulphite intolerance? - citrus is a sulphite and intolerances can spike your blood sugar. If the intolerance is mild it could be the only noticeable symptom.

I have the same problem with eggs, I'm mildly intolerant of them, used to be able to eat them without any major problems, but since I got diabetes I can't eat them at all, as they send my blood sugar up to about 18 - no matter how much insulin I inject with them (and obviously I shouldn't need to inject any insulin for them at all, but I was injecting more and more every time I had them, and it made no difference at all, blood sugar still went straight up to high teens every time).

The weird thing is I can eat cake which contains eggs - and has lots of carbs - and it has minimal effect on my blood sugar :confused:

I've asked about this on here and some other people have a similar problem with nuts, if they have slight nut intolerance, so apparently it's not just me!

They did accidentally put full sugar coke cans in boxes marked zero sugar last year iirc but I think the cans inside were correctly labelled :confused:

The sugar free coke, as opposed to diet coke does the same to me. Its the different artificial sugars. I now only drink 'diet' versions never 'sugar free' of anything.

However!

Yeah Tango sugar free orange has done that to me too.I don't drink it anymore

I’ve not had the Tango but a sugar-free squash did that to me. I thought I was going mad and checked and re-checked the carbs. I tried it three times and the same thing happened. Weird.

Back