Talk about bonkers? You couldn't make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My GP referred me to see a hand surgeon due to a troublesome myxoid cyst on one of my little fingers.

Within a couple of day I received the paperwork for Choose and Book, giving me access to the clinics in my area, and declaring their approximate waiting times. Cutting to the chase, I could be seen at the Nuffield in Leamington Spa within a week, so I booked it.

Surgeon agreed it is a bit awkward and could be problematic if it burst. Myxoid cysts emanate from a joint, so it could be an open wound directly into a joint, so we agreed it could go. Over time, they grow, the skin gets stretched and thinner and indeed they burst. On a little finger it is even more likely, due to potential for knocks etc.

I then had a call from his secretary last Thursday afternoon, offering me this afternoon, which I took. I mean; might as well get it over and done with.

I then had a call from the secretary at noon, (due to book in at 2pm) to say, no op today. When booking me in, she had been unaware, that, by NHS rules, there has to be at least 6 weeks between consultation agreeing a course of action, and the action - in my case a minor op.

I can only assume the surgeon will have had an extra cup of tea this afternoon, or read a chapter of his book, but isn't that bonkers?

Surely, if "they" are trying to drive down waiting lists, it makes sense get get people off them, treated, sooner, rather than later? Laying in a mandatory 6 week delay is just beyond me.

I'm aghast.

Oh well. I think I'll do some sewing................................

Agreed very bonkers, makes a mockery for sure of trying to get the waiting list down.

Sorry to hear your op was postponed @AndBreathe - and for such strange reasoning once everything had been booked in!

Must be so frustrating for you :(

You‘d have thought the time for applying that rule was when the dates were initially being offered. Rather than waiting until you’d occupied a slot you wouldn't be allowed to take! 🙄

Sorry to hear your op was postponed @AndBreathe - and for such strange reasoning once everything had been booked in!

Must be so frustrating for you :(

You‘d have thought the time for applying that rule was when the dates were initially being offered. Rather than waiting until you’d occupied a slot you wouldn't be allowed to take! 🙄
Well, yes. The surgeon’s PA said she’d never heard about it before.

To be fair, it not too long to wait. Just the bonkers rationale.

I wonder whether the same rule will be applied to patients arriving at death’s door from traffic accidents. That would free up waiting lists too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back