Taking part in research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowz

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
my daughter has been asked to take part in some reasearch because she is newly diagnosed. Thought people on here might be interested.

The aim is to develop a urine test, that will be able to find out if and how much of their own insulin children are producing. N is 1 of 10 children being followed and she will be followed for a year. We have to do 3 urine tests over a week at 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12 mths after diagnosis.

The reason they can distinguish between the injected insulin and her own insulin is because her own insulin will contain peptides, the more peptides the more of her own she is producing.

The idea is it will hopefully stop all the invasive blood tests to discover whether a child is in the honmeymoon period and also reduce the amount of hypos a child has before medical staff realise a child is in the honeymoon phase.

I got some of the first results back today and it seems sh is still producing some of her own.

That's very interesting Willowz, thank you 🙂 I had my review today and the consultant thinks I am still producing some of my own insulin 2.5 years after diagnosis. Also, I believe the Joslin study of people who have had diabetes for over 50 years is showing that those without complications are still producing some even 70 years after diagnosis!

It's a very interesting idea and I was interested and surprised by your review, Northy. There are times when I'm convinced I'm still producing a little bit here and there as it's the only explanation that makes sense. Let us all know the results of the study Willowz and well done to N for taking part.

It's a very interesting idea and I was interested and surprised by your review, Northy. There are times when I'm convinced I'm still producing a little bit here and there as it's the only explanation that makes sense. Let us all know the results of the study Willowz and well done to N for taking part.

Here's some information about the study and its findings:

http://www.joslin.org/50_year_medalist_study.html

That sounds interesting and should help with the first year of control as you will actually *know* when the honeymoon period finishes - well done for taking part.🙂Bev

Here's some information about the study and its findings:

http://www.joslin.org/50_year_medalist_study.html

Well fancy that! I've been laughed out of clinics for suggesting the possibility of some insulin production remaining but as we well know, the medics get there eventually! Interesting too that I've done reasonably well on the complications score. Well I was doing well, I managed 32 years with no problems it's only been the last 12 months that have gone haywire. Thanks for the link Northy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back