Taking glicacizde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titch 91

Relationship to Diabetes
Steroid Induced Diabetes
So nurse started me on glicazide, she said it should start working straight away within a couple of hours. Well took it at 5pm just before I ate dinner and just checked my sugars as nurse said to twice a day and they are 22. 0. I thought it would be lower. Be interesting to see what they are in the morning. Anyone else having the same issues? Or any advice?

I personal found I was quite sensitive to Gliclazide, even the slow release.

what dosage did she start you on?

I cant advise on dosage but I can tell you that it can go up to like 320mg a day (total) so there is defo scope to increase it. (WITH MEDICAL/HCP GUIDANCE)

The guidelines on increasing dose that GPs use:
https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/gliclazide/

You might have to jump through their hoops but I will say to make sure you are safe while doing the jumping. ie get help if you are too high or have ketones.

Glic takes about 30 mins to get going so timing it before meals can help but so much still depends on what your body can pump out insulin wise and if you have insulin resistance in the mix. All glic does it tell you to make more insulin (or as I call it, turn on the insulin tap).

They will want to make sure they don't overload you initially because you can't turn that tap off so its going as long as the drug lasts and can cause hypos. I get why they are starting you on a relatively small dose (for your safety).

Its defo a fine line when it comes to managing your diabetes when insulin in involved (be it your own or injected).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back