Taking Creatine with Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valley1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Does anyone with type 2 diabetes use Creatine for gym sessions whilst taking Metformin? I’d like to increase my workouts/strength and Creatine gummies or powder was suggested to me. I’m on 500mg Metformin tablets three times a day, but concerned there maybe contraindications. Thanks 🙂

I don’t know about creatine I’m afraid @Valley1

But as @Inka suggests pharmacist would be the ideal person to talk to about any possible interactions between medications (if your surgery doesn’t have a tame one on staff, you could speak to the qualified pharmacist at your high street chemists)

Hi @Valley1

Please note that I am no expert in anything, and the following information is based on imperfect information and personal opinion only - it is critical that you consult with your doctors before taking any action based on any of the following information.

Firstly - Creatine - I can find no studies that examine Creatine use while on Metformin. The best article I can find which describes the effects of Creatine is the following:

Being on Metformin may however have implications as regards building muscle. See the links in the following threads:

I found the video linked in this thread to be very informative as regards nutrition and muscle building:

I am currently in weight loss mode at a rate of 1Kg per week, and so it is next to impossible for me to build muscle mass at present. I am currently on Metformin, an SGLT2 inhibitor ( Dapagliflozin) and I may soon go in a GLP-1 agonist (Trulicity). It is my intention once I reach my target weight, assuming my weight loss results in a reduced need for mediation, to go off Metformin first, for a time, in order to build muscle. This of course will depend on agreement from my doctors. Assuming they agree I will spend 6 months to 1 year doing progressive resistance training 3 days a week to build muscle, with increased protein intake to aid in that goal, then go back on Metformin and (hopefully) go off whatever other medications I am on at that time.

My hope is that increased muscle mass combined with regular, whole-body exercise will both help me to maintain my weight and help to control my levels of insulin resistance and thus my blood glucose levels. I am happy to be on Metformin from that time onward, if necessary, to preserve my long term health

Again, no clinical study is perfect and I am a total amateur with much to learn, so please consult with your doctors before considering any changes to your medication.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I’m seeing my GP this week, so I will discuss with him 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back