Taking byetta on holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am going on holiday on Saturday for two weeks in Turkey and am on Byetta. It is just one pen, would you carry this and your needles in your hand luggage in a frio bag - and if so do I need a consultant letter or would just a copy prescription be okay?
How would you dispose of needles on holiday?

I have been advised to take a week off of Byetta every so often., I have a cycle to follow. I am tempted to leave it at home and have 2 weeks off of it, but not sure what to do. Maybe I should ask the consultant this week?🙂
I jsut dont want to start having the awful hypos and floods whilst away.

I would definitely take it in hand luggage with everything you need (fingerpricker, meter, needles) so it doesn't get lost. Also, it's probably like insulin and might freeze and get ruined in the hold. If you're seeing the consultant before you go, then get a letter from him just to be on the safe side, and if he says not to miss two weeks. 🙂

Thanks Alan,

I am not seeing him before I go but am thinking I could possibly email him. I just dont want to be seen to be making a fuss over nothing.

How do you dispose of needles on holiday?🙂

Thanks Alan,

I am not seeing him before I go but am thinking I could possibly email him. I just dont want to be seen to be making a fuss over nothing.

How do you dispose of needles on holiday?🙂

You can get 'travel' sharps bins, or an easier option is to get a BD Safeclip that you use to snip the needle ends off - they are stored in the device and you just throw it away when it's full 🙂 You can get them on prescription or buy them without if you don't have time to go through your GPs. Most chemist's should stock them.

Thanks Alan that is really helpful.
If I was stopped with my supplies without documentation, what do you think the worst is that would happen - I have images of Bridget Jones in my mind!:D

Thanks Alan that is really helpful.
If I was stopped with my supplies without documentation, what do you think the worst is that would happen - I have images of Bridget Jones in my mind!:D

I don't know, nothing much I would have thought as it's clearly for medical purposes, but make sure you have at least a copy of the prescription on you. Perhaps learn the phrases for I am diabetic in Turkish. There is a free travel guide to Turkey from DUK here:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Country guides/Turkey September 2010.pdf

🙂

Im on same meds and just arrived back fro 2 weeks in Turkey. Carried all meds in hand luggage informed customs before I put my bag through security. I was alittle worried by not a problem I didnt have to answer any questions or provide any letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back