Take away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanz001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is it me or does anyone else have a massive issue trying to figure out carbs and how much insulin to take when having a take away??? Im having a chinese tonight with the girls and i dread it every time as I can never figure out what to do and then i end up going really high or really overdoing it with the insulin because i'm scared of going too high!! What a drama....x

I've found takeaways and restaurant meals to be really laden with bad stuff - sugar, salt and fat - and have pretty much given up on them and trying to carb count them as they are so variable. I'd suggest you try and pick out the healthiest looking options available.

I find googling what you're having - and the weight of it - (eg 'amount of carbs in sweet and sour chicken balls' or whatever) usually throws up some kind of figure. Or get your hands on a book like the Collins Carb Counter, it might not have everything you plan to have in there but you should get a rough idea.

Hope that helps 🙂

edit: also, things like a chinese are going to be caked in fat, which will slow down the release of the carbs in the food. I find splitting my dose helps me manage any late spikes caused by that.

yes my dsn suggested splitting the dose. I dont eat them very often because of the aggro but havent had one for such a long time!

Sounds like it might be worth splitting the dose then to try and manage it better? How long you need to split it over tends to be pretty individual; you'll need to experiment with it unfortunately!

Sounds like it might be worth splitting the dose then to try and manage it better? How long you need to split it over tends to be pretty individual; you'll need to experiment with it unfortunately!

I concur................different take away outlets can vary in glucose release also even if its the same meal..............pick a good takeaway and practice with the doses............then just go back there again...........

When I have takeaway its usually a treat, so I do my best to tackle the carbs but I am not that fussed at the end of the night.......

Bon Apetit.........

Been doin it for years and still can't do chips accurately.

All things considered (travelling, exercise, stress etc), 99% of the time I am 2-3 units out.

I find it difficult, but just go for what I think and hope for the best. It's not too often so being a bit out once in a while I can accept. Have been out for meals and not believed the carb count that the nutritional information gives too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back