Take a hike: Critics slam plan to tackle obesity crisis by raising car parking charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Plans to increase parking charges to force people to walk their way to better health have been slammed.

New guidelines by health experts say families should consider selling their cars to stop driving distances of less than a mile.

The advice from NICE, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, aims to help tackle obesity and other problems caused by being unfit.

But council bosses and people on the streets of Greater Manchester said the proposals were ?unfair? and would further damage recession-hit high streets.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...obesity-crisis-by-raising-car-parking-charges

Whatever will they think of next? 🙄

It obviously wasn't well thought out was it? 🙄
Where I live no buses nearest town 9 miles away. May I suggest the the thinker behind this idea either takes a hike or gets on his bike? 🙄

It obviously wasn't well thought out was it? 🙄
Where I live no buses nearest town 9 miles away. May I suggest the the thinker behind this idea either takes a hike or gets on his bike? 🙄

All these ideas really are pathetic. What is needed to improve the general health of the population is greater investment in schools, with lessons in nutrition, cooking, wider range of physical activities so no-one feels left out, better facilities and more PE teachers, better quality school meals and greater restrictions at break and lunchtimes so kids don't go wandering off to the chippy etc. Get people into the right habits and with the right knowledge when they are young and it is more likely to stay with them through their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back