Tackling Diabetes Bullies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All.

Sorry to mention DUK again tonight..but following the Link magazine today.. I thought this may be of interest to some of you.

Diabetes UK has released a short, gritty video to show young people and school children about Type 1 Diabetes. Setting the record straight..aims to dispel common myths about Type 1 and stop young people with the condition from being bullied because of ignorance and misconceptions.

Before developing the two-minute video Diabetes UK invited young people with diabetes to share their experience of bullying so that the campaign could accurately reflect the issues the children face. Some young people report being called "Drug addicts" and being shunned because some think that diabetes is "Contagious". Another misconception is the belief that a person has diabetes because of "eating too many sweets".

The viral campaign is designed to be shared among family and friends. It is available on Diabetes UK's YouTube channel, pages on social networking site such as Facebook, Myspace and Bebo, and on the Diabetes UK 'My life@ website for teenagers with diabetes - to view the film, visit www.diabetes.org.uk/record

Heidi
🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Heidi! I edited your post because there was a missing 'a' in the link, in case you wondered!

I think the video is very good - short and to the point!🙂

Thanks Heidi 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Thanks Heidi! I edited your post because there was a missing 'a' in the link, in case you wondered!

I think the video is very good - short and to the point!🙂

Thanks Northerner....I'm starting to think I'm surrering from sympathetis hypo's.....just put a glass in the bin..and the empty carton in the washing up dish.....😱...lol

Yes I think it is very good as well

Heidi
🙂

thanks for the link heidi it was very good x:D:D

Hi All.

Sorry to mention DUK again tonight..but following the Link magazine today.. I thought this may be of interest to some of you.

Diabetes UK has released a short, gritty video to show young people and school children about Type 1 Diabetes. Setting the record straight..aims to dispel common myths about Type 1 and stop young people with the condition from being bullied because of ignorance and misconceptions.

Before developing the two-minute video Diabetes UK invited young people with diabetes to share their experience of bullying so that the campaign could accurately reflect the issues the children face. Some young people report being called "Drug addicts" and being shunned because some think that diabetes is "Contagious". Another misconception is the belief that a person has diabetes because of "eating too many sweets".

The viral campaign is designed to be shared among family and friends. It is available on Diabetes UK's YouTube channel, pages on social networking site such as Facebook, Myspace and Bebo, and on the Diabetes UK 'My life@ website for teenagers with diabetes - to view the film, visit www.diabetes.org.uk/record

Heidi
🙂

Had a tear in my eye as I watched this. My daughter who is type 1 is only 5 and as far as I'm aware hasn't been bullied at school - all her friends have been really understanding. Obviously as she gets older things may very well change. Very upsetting to think that it could happen to her. Video is very good - needs to be shown in all schools.

Had a tear in my eye as I watched this. My daughter who is type 1 is only 5 and as far as I'm aware hasn't been bullied at school - all her friends have been really understanding. Obviously as she gets older things may very well change. Very upsetting to think that it could happen to her. Video is very good - needs to be shown in all schools.

Hi gewatts,

As you I think this should be shown in all schools..Unfortuately Nathan has be subject to bullying, even before diagnosis, after diagnosis it just gave the bullies something else to use as a weapon..Fortunately nearly 2 1/2 years down the line...and after several children being excluded for a day, after terrible/unforgivable remarks made to Nathan regarding the fact he is diabetic, they seem to have shut up and see the condition for what it really is.

Heidi
🙂

Thanks for the link. I think it would be helpful for some adults too. Working in a library I can direct people to a whole selection of appropriate reading material, but not everyone has this luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back