TA943 Hybrid closed loop systems for managing blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds a lot more promising, as it seems to imply that those who are already using pumps, for whom HCL is appropriate will be included. I know that this is a five year roll out, but it is a start.

So - I'm also in that last category, BUT my existing pump will need replacing in 2025 - so I live in hope! At least the last Dr I saw at D clinic actually recorded that I'm 'interested in HCL' - too true I am !

So - I'm also in that last category, BUT my existing pump will need replacing in 2025 - so I live in hope! At least the last Dr I saw at D clinic actually recorded that I'm 'interested in HCL' - too true I am !
I am due my replacement pump right at the end of 2024.
Very hopeful.

I am due my replacement pump right at the end of 2024.
Very hopeful.

Have you contacted your clinic to see if they will fund your sensors @SB2015

Would be worth asking them sooner rather than later. I happened to meet one of the DSNs at a DUK SW healthcare conference in the Spring who said that I should get funding, but I had just got a 3 month supply in.

As my self funded supplies dwindled and my summer appointment was delayed I chased them up a few times. Then a few times more…

And now (on my last self funded sensor!) received my first funded supplies of Dex G6 this month.

I had my pump clinic yesterday, and they apologised for how long it had taken. As part of the roll-out where I am I think people who are currently familiar with the system are pretty much all getting switched over (and no training is required!).

Have you contacted your clinic to see if they will fund your sensors @SB2015

Would be worth asking them sooner rather than later. I happened to meet one of the DSNs at a DUK SW healthcare conference in the Spring who said that I should get funding, but I had just got a 3 month supply in.

As my self funded supplies dwindled and my summer appointment was delayed I chased them up a few times. Then a few times more…

And now (on my last self funded sensor!) received my first funded supplies of Dex G6 this month.

I had my pump clinic yesterday, and they apologised for how long it had taken. As part of the roll-out where I am I think people who are currently familiar with the system are pretty much all getting switched over (and no training is required!).
That is excellent news Mike.

I asked at the start of the year when I needed to set up a new contract for the year, and was advised to set up a contract again! I shall wait until the new year and again. The ‘no training needed’ was mentioned as a plus when we discussed it before, so that is sounding even more promising.

I asked at the start of the year when I needed to set up a new contract for the year, and was advised to set up a contract again!

Ah yes, I suppose at that time it was all still under development and quite a long way from being published?

I never went the Contract route, as it was slightly cheaper to restart them and buy them in bundles / additional transmitters.

the Sensors are quite a bit cheaper with the one year package, and I was aassured that if I got funding there would be no problem ending the contract.

HCL systems are apparently being approved slowly by regions / NHS not all are offering the same currently- only 1 in my region approved for consideration for those that meet criteria. The current system I use has not been approved as too expensive !
Although I am due an upgrade( set period of years )
Does anyone else know what May / is approved in what region of UK?

I've not seen anything showing that. I don't think anyone tried to collect that for pumps either, though maybe HCL will be so much bigger that someone will. I think the plan has always been to try and offer everything everywhere but I'm sure it'll take a while to do that.

HCL systems are apparently being approved slowly by regions / NHS not all are offering the same currently- only 1 in my region approved for consideration for those that meet criteria. The current system I use has not been approved as too expensive !
Although I am due an upgrade( set period of years )
It is understandable that each region will only be able to offer the systems that they are able to offer training for. When I did my training for my system, my DSN was on the training that was provided by the pump manufacturer, so we learnt together.

The range of pumps offered was initially limited but gradually broadened as the DSNs became more familiar with different systems. I suspect that the same will happen with the HCL systems.

From my point of view, when starting on this system, I found switching to a different pump at the same time as trying HCL made things more difficult. It would take a lot of pros to make me switch again now that I have got used to this system. I wonder what I would do if there was the offer of funding if I switched.

Well - you'd be in far better position to judge whether different features would be of any use to you, wouldn't you?

It is understandable that each region will only be able to offer the systems that they are able to offer training for. When I did my training for my system, my DSN was on the training that was provided by the pump manufacturer, so we learnt together.

The range of pumps offered was initially limited but gradually broadened as the DSNs became more familiar with different systems. I suspect that the same will happen with the HCL systems.

From my point of view, when starting on this system, I found switching to a different pump at the same time as trying HCL made things more difficult. It would take a lot of pros to make me switch again now that I have got used to this system. I wonder what I would do if there was the offer of funding if I switched.
Was informed by Staff member at Diabetes centre- that only one type accepted by NHS in my area. Purely due to cost. Although there are other types developed that are approved. Again depends on cost. Will have to wait and see. I have read Nice research and long life Diabetics last due to knowledge known via research .

Was informed by Staff member at Diabetes centre- that only one type accepted by NHS in my area. Purely due to cost. Although there are other types developed that are approved. Again depends on cost. Will have to wait and see. I have read Nice research and long life Diabetics last due to knowledge known via research .
I suspect that whichever type they offer you they will all work in a similar way.
Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back