T2 medications

JillianGee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,I've been diagnosed 2 days ago with T2,and have been prescribed gliclizide in evening,and metformin in the morning.I have a review in a weeks time to monitor. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of side effects or results? (unfortunately my health care professional wasnt very forthcoming )

Did you not read the Patient Information leaflet that came with your medication?

Yes,but was wondering how prevalent any side effects may be amongst those using it.

Hi,I've been diagnosed 2 days ago with T2,and have been prescribed gliclizide in evening,and metformin in the morning.I have a review in a weeks time to monitor. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of side effects or results? (unfortunately my health care professional wasnt very forthcoming )
Welcome to the forum
Would you like to give a bit more detail about the circumstances that led to your diagnosis, was it just a routine test or were you getting any symptoms. What was your HbA1C, anything over 47mmol/mol would be a diabetes diagnosis but I suspect it is quite high to be prescribed both those medications initially. Usually it would be metformin and dietary changes and if that was not helping to bring down levels then add other medication.
Both those act in different ways, metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the amount of glucose released by the liver and gliclazide encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able.
You should also have been prescribed a blood glucose monitor and strips to be able to check your blood glucose as the gliclazide has the potential to cause low blood glucose.
You would take the gliclazide about half and hour before eating so by the time you eat your pancreas will have a head start on producing insulin to cope with the carbs in your meal so you do need to eat some carbs but how much will be a very individual thing.

Hi,thanks for the reply, yes,I was experiencing headaches and thirst esp at night.My mmol/mol was 64,so yes quite high,the doctor wanted to lower it fast,hence both meds.
I have been prescribed a blood glucose monitor and i am testing twice daily as requested.My first reading on monitor was 8.8,but 2 days in,i am reading a 7.I was just wondering what is the prevalence of symptons amongst users of these meds combined.

The most common side effect with Metformin is digestive upset and it is important to take them with a reasonably substantial amount of food. I took them mid meal so that some food hit my stomach first and then the tablets and then more food. I got a bit of diarrhoea and wind and occasional colicky/trapped wind pains but it was always a bit of a gamble to let rip in case it was more than just wind, unless I was in the bathroom.
They should start you on just one a day and gradually build it up over a number of weeks as your system gets more used to it. I should say, some people suffer no adverse effects at all and others have it a bit worse than I did. Generally, these side effects settle down after a week or two but if they don't or are unmanageable, you can ask for the slow/modified release version of Metformin which is usually kinder on your stomach.

I don't remember having any side effects from the Gliclazide but you have to be aware that they can cause hypos because they encourage you pancreas to produce more insulin. My pancreas was unable to do that because I turned out to be Type 1 and my insulin production was failing, but some Type 2s do experience the odd hypo with it which is why you should be supplied with a BG meter and test strips which you should use if you feel wobbly or unwell and make sure you carry hypo treatments like Glucose tablets of jelly babies with you wherever you go just in case.

Dietary changes can have a much more powerful effect on your levels than both of those medications, so adjusting your diet and getting a bit more active if you can will be very important together with the medication.

Hi,thanks for the reply, yes,I was experiencing headaches and thirst esp at night.My mmol/mol was 64,so yes quite high,the doctor wanted to lower it fast,hence both meds.
I have been prescribed a blood glucose monitor and i am testing twice daily as requested.My first reading on monitor was 8.8,but 2 days in,i am reading a 7.I was just wondering what is the prevalence of symptons amongst users of these meds combined.
Reducing blood glucose quickly which may occur with both those medications can make people feel a bit wobbly and get some issues with eyes and nerves but the main side effect that some people get are stomach issues from the metformin.
Many who have higher HbA1C than you would be started on metformin and advised to make dietary changes before adding the gliclazide.
The reading people would be aiming at are 4-7mmol/l fasting/morning and no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating.
The readings you may get will depend on when you test as it will be influenced by a number of factors mainly what you have eaten, so to be meaningful strategic testing is better than just random readings.0

The most common side effect with Metformin is digestive upset and it is important to take them with a reasonably substantial amount of food. I took them mid meal so that some food hit my stomach first and then the tablets and then more food. I got a bit of diarrhoea and wind and occasional colicky/trapped wind pains but it was always a bit of a gamble to let rip in case it was more than just wind, unless I was in the bathroom.
They should start you on just one a day and gradually build it up over a number of weeks as your system gets more used to it. I should say, some people suffer no adverse effects at all and others have it a bit worse than I did. Generally, these side effects settle down after a week or two but if they don't or are unmanageable, you can ask for the slow/modified release version of Metformin which is usually kinder on your stomach.

I don't remember having any side effects from the Gliclazide but you have to be aware that they can cause hypos because they encourage you pancreas to produce more insulin. My pancreas was unable to do that because I turned out to be Type 1 and my insulin production was failing, but some Type 2s do experience the odd hypo with it which is why you should be supplied with a BG meter and test strips which you should use if you feel wobbly or unwell and make sure you carry hypo treatments like Glucose tablets of jelly babies with you wherever you go just in case.

Dietary changes can have a much more powerful effect on your levels than both of those medications, so adjusting your diet and getting a bit more active if you can will be very important together with the medication.
Thanks so much,its all a learning curve!

Back