T2 for 8yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendy098

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone
Need help diabetes was ok now rising hba1 for no reason. Nurse putting me on another tablet along with 4 500mg metformin and one alogliptin a day. I am beside myself with worry. Has anyone else been in this situation.

Welcome to the forum. I think it is easy over a period of time for people's diet to slip and that can be the reason for their HbA1C to increase but also their tolerance to carbohydrates can change.
Ideas have perhaps changed since your original diagnosis in that it is recognised that a low carbohydrate diet will be something that many people will find successful at reducing and maintaining their blood glucose at a normal level.
The standard NHS advice based on the Eat Well Plate handed out is too high in carbohydrates for many to tolerate.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for dietary changes which may help. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
If you are following a low carb regime, then no more than 130g total carb per day is suggested so you might look at how far you are from that.
How high is your HbA1C and perhaps if you give some examples of the sort of meals you have somebody may spot some foods which may be a problem.

Thanks for the reply
My hba1 is 98 diabetic nurse has given me a finger prick meter today's first time I've used it 16.5 before breakfast rising to 21.5 before main meal this evening.
Had special k for breakfast 1 crusty bread bun with cheese and a pear for lunch and a piece of skate plus five very small pots cauli and broccoli, with plain yoghurt and 2 kiwi for desert. 2 mugs of tea many glasses of water. The new drug is gliptazine think that's how it's spelt, waiting for chemist to get it in stock
tomorrow will be porridge with frozen mixed berrys lunch homemade tomato and red pepper soup evening meal 3egg omelette with bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Thanks for the reply
My hba1 is 98 diabetic nurse has given me a finger prick meter today's first time I've used it 16.5 before breakfast rising to 21.5 before main meal this evening.
Had special k for breakfast 1 crusty bread bun with cheese and a pear for lunch and a piece of skate plus five very small pots cauli and broccoli, with plain yoghurt and 2 kiwi for desert. 2 mugs of tea many glasses of water. The new drug is gliptazine think that's how it's spelt, waiting for chemist to get it in stock
tomorrow will be porridge with frozen mixed berrys lunch homemade tomato and red pepper soup evening meal 3egg omelette with bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes.
The first things you mention are pretty high carb, cereal, bread, potatoes. You are at a level well into the diabetic zone which is quite surprising given you were already on two diabetic meds which suggests you are still having more carbs than your body can tolerate. However, as you now have a monitor you may find it useful to test before you eat and after 2 hours so you can see which foods are causing the problem. An increase of 2-3mmol/l is OK.
With glucose levels so high you should keep a check for ketones so having some ketosticks to test your urine when your level is in the high teens.

I suggest you test before and 2 hours after your porridge as some people find porridge is a No, No as it increases blood glucose too much. People are often more sensitive to carbs in the morning so would have a low carb breakfast of things like Greek yoghurt and berries or seeds and nuts or eggs in any form.

Hi. Your diet has too many carbs. Avoid porridge, Special-K and the bun. The soup will be quite high in carbs as well. Try to keep your total carbs at least below 150gm/day. What is your weight. If you are slim or losing weight then suspect being late onset T1 and not T2. There are two tests for that i.e. GAD and C-Peptide

My hba1 is 98 diabetic nurse has given me a finger prick meter today's first time I've used it 16.5 before breakfast rising to 21.5 before main meal this evening

Welcome to the forum @wendy098

Sorry to hear your levels have started misbehaving. :(

Those levels do seem quite high - and the HbA1c suggests that these may have been happening for a while.

Some people’s diabetes does change over time, and sometimes these changes can come in bursts rather than as a gradual trickle.

Do you know which meds might be offered?

And are you considering any further tweaks to your menu to help things along?

Thanks for the reply
You have done really well to deal with type 2 for so long if you have been eating so many carbs on a daily basis.
I am very sensitive to carbs so to keep in normal numbers and be gradually losing weight I would not have any cereal, no bread, no pear, no potato, no kiwi fruit, no porridge - I stopped testing some time ago when I was consistently under 7mmol/l after eating.
If you are an ordinary type 2 then by replacing the high carb foods with something lower then you should be able to reduce your numbers. Of course something else could be happening, but few type 2s could eat so many carbs and not spike after meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back