T2 diet controlled - Travelling in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiabloT2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So far I am managing my T2 by diet only, having been on metformin for short period when first diagnosed, but for last couple of years managing without any medication. I know from experience that I have to keep to a low carb diet.

I'm wondering how other T2s who are diet controlled/low carbing have managed in India. Or perhaps if anyone on the forum lives in India and follows a low carb diet. I realise India is huge and the answer may vary depending on where in India.

Some years ago, when I was still classified as Type 2, I travelled extensively in India on business. One of the most important pieces of advice I was given was to stick to vegetarian food, avoid salads, ice and ice cream and cold food and water not in sealed bottles. Using this sage advice I was able to 1. Keep my diabetes in check and 2. avoid going down with stomach problems. Not that there is a problem with the vast majority of food in India, it is just our more delicate Western stomachs!
Given that the majority of Indians are vegetarian the variety is wide and as long as you avoid thick sauces I found that I was able to keep my levels
pretty well stable.

@JohnS, thanks for your sole response! My other research (i.e. web searches and one personal contact) suggests that it will be case of enquiring properly about what exactly is in the food and not making any presumptions about how "low carb", etc. might be interpreted/understood. Hopefully, with the wide variety it will be possible to manage even though in much of the country the staples as I understand it are high carb foods.

Shame I'm not still in contact with my previous diabetes consultant as he hailed from Kerala which is nowt unusual around here.

Often Indian food is eaten with rice and bread so it is that which is high carb rather than the actual meal unless it has potatoes in.
You will probably find the traditional food is quite different from the Indian food you get here. Be prepared to be adventurous, probably wise to stick with vegetarian as that is probably less likely to give you a stomach upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back