T2 and inhalers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largesse1!

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been reading up about the potential impact of inhaler asthma meds on blood sugars and fojnd a recent study that inhalers can increase chances of T2 by 34%. The research project was in Canada and not perfect as it didn’t record factors like obesity etc but the figure is so significantly higher than general that it its still striking. I also was checking the warnings on new inhalerss I’d been prescribed and they say that they can effect your blood sugar.

this is particularly interesting for me because I feel that when I was first diagnosed with asthma my diabetes must have already been quite serious but missed. Let me explain.

In early 2018 I had a kidney stone. It was extremely painful and I ended up in A&E. No tests were done on my BG (I asked the GP to check when I’d last had my blood sugar checked before diagnosis and it was in 2013 and around 6.3).

I had been feeling less than great for a wee while which I put down to menopause and the kidney stone and overwork.

In 2019 I started feeling really shitty generally. I was struggling to climb stairs and had a post-nasal drip at night that was stopping me sleeping. I went to the doctor and he got me to test my breathing and try some inhalers. They showed a wee improvement so he got me to get a spirometry test and I responded to the nebuliser and was thus diagnosed.

By Feb 2020, I was prescribed a preventative inhaler and an reliever inhaler. I felt a bit better taking them, or convinced myself I did, but still felt shitty generally.

Then I noticed I was losing weight which I have never managed before. I wasn’t doing anything to lose weight so it was odd. I then noticed increased thirst and was having weird dreams. I phoned the GP who didn’t think it would be T2, though I can’t remember why, but agreed to give me a blood test. My fasting BG was 19. They took another a couple of days later - still 19. My HbA1c was 131. I was prescribed Metformin and Gliclazide and I joined the forum where I was encouraged to do the LCHF. My recent HbA1c was 46 - one year seven months on from diagnosis.

I now think that I must have had diabetes when I had the kidney stone and the symptoms I was showing were those of diabetes rather than asthma. I think when I went on the inhalers it didn’t help and my numbers kept climbing until I was showing identifiable symptoms.

I think this is fairly troubling - it’s easy to put so much down to the menopause etc and not investigate; if blood sugars aren’t taken as a matter of course when you get a kidney stone or regularly when you are fighting fatigue and breathing issues when you are obese, then it’s easy to miss the pre diabetes stage where it’s more easy to recover.

Anyhoo, that’s my theory. I’m wondering if anyone else can see any sort of correlation with a diagnosos for asthma and when they began to show identifiable T2 symptoms?

Largesse.

I’ve been reading up about the potential impact of inhaler asthma meds on blood sugars and fojnd a recent study that inhalers can increase chances of T2 by 34%. The research project was in Canada and not perfect as it didn’t record factors like obesity etc but the figure is so significantly higher than general that it its still striking. I also was checking the warnings on new inhalerss I’d been prescribed and they say that they can effect your blood sugar.

this is particularly interesting for me because I feel that when I was first diagnosed with asthma my diabetes must have already been quite serious but missed. Let me explain.

In early 2018 I had a kidney stone. It was extremely painful and I ended up in A&E. No tests were done on my BG (I asked the GP to check when I’d last had my blood sugar checked before diagnosis and it was in 2013 and around 6.3).

I had been feeling less than great for a wee while which I put down to menopause and the kidney stone and overwork.

In 2019 I started feeling really shitty generally. I was struggling to climb stairs and had a post-nasal drip at night that was stopping me sleeping. I went to the doctor and he got me to test my breathing and try some inhalers. They showed a wee improvement so he got me to get a spirometry test and I responded to the nebuliser and was thus diagnosed.

By Feb 2020, I was prescribed a preventative inhaler and an reliever inhaler. I felt a bit better taking them, or convinced myself I did, but still felt shitty generally.

Then I noticed I was losing weight which I have never managed before. I wasn’t doing anything to lose weight so it was odd. I then noticed increased thirst and was having weird dreams. I phoned the GP who didn’t think it would be T2, though I can’t remember why, but agreed to give me a blood test. My fasting BG was 19. They took another a couple of days later - still 19. My HbA1c was 131. I was prescribed Metformin and Gliclazide and I joined the forum where I was encouraged to do the LCHF. My recent HbA1c was 46 - one year seven months on from diagnosis.

I now think that I must have had diabetes when I had the kidney stone and the symptoms I was showing were those of diabetes rather than asthma. I think when I went on the inhalers it didn’t help and my numbers kept climbing until I was showing identifiable symptoms.

I think this is fairly troubling - it’s easy to put so much down to the menopause etc and not investigate; if blood sugars aren’t taken as a matter of course when you get a kidney stone or regularly when you are fighting fatigue and breathing issues when you are obese, then it’s easy to miss the pre diabetes stage where it’s more easy to recover.

Anyhoo, that’s my theory. I’m wondering if anyone else can see any sort of correlation with a diagnosos for asthma and when they began to show identifiable T2 symptoms?

Largesse.
I think the reason for increased risk of diabetes is that some asthma inhalers are steroids which are known to elevate blood glucose levels. However the risk from asthma attacks if unmanaged can be quite high.

Yes my Clenil is a corticosteroid and that puts my BG up for a short time, hence I do my waking BG before I use it.

Yes. For me, however, I’m thinking I was misdiagnosed with asthma - that the symptoms I was presenting with has more to do with my, at the time, undiagnosed diabetes which was then aggravated by the inhalers.

I use both steroid nasal spray and inhalers and have done for about 40 years, and they in themselves don't seem to affect my Glucose levels. Though when I had a steroid injection in my knee that did for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back