T1D antibodies question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg295

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I’m just interested in the different type 1 antibodies and what they mean as I don’t know much about it and would like to find out a bit more!

When I was diagnosed I was positive for IA2 antibodies. Interestingly, I didn’t have GAD (as I know a lot of people do) but because I had the other antibody typically associated with type 1, along with all the classic symptoms, raised BG levels and because I’m a young adult, I got the diagnosis of type 1.

I just wondered if anyone knows about the differences between the 2 antibodies or anything much about them as I don’t have a clue really!

Thank you 🙂

Hi all,

I’m just interested in the different type 1 antibodies and what they mean as I don’t know much about it and would like to find out a bit more!

When I was diagnosed I was positive for IA2 antibodies. Interestingly, I didn’t have GAD (as I know a lot of people do) but because I had the other antibody typically associated with type 1, along with all the classic symptoms, raised BG levels and because I’m a young adult, I got the diagnosis of type 1.

I just wondered if anyone knows about the differences between the 2 antibodies or anything much about them as I don’t have a clue really!

Thank you 🙂
It looks to be very complicated and unless you are a biochemist or immunologist quite difficult to interpret. 1A2 seems to be just one of the antibodies involved in the autoimmune response in Type 1

It looks to be very complicated and unless you are a biochemist or immunologist quite difficult to interpret. 1A2 seems to be just one of the antibodies involved in the autoimmune response in Type 1
Yes it does seem rather confusing! Ok interesting, I knew of IA2 and GAD being associated and like I say I interestingly didn’t have GAD but IA2 was definitely there!

Thank you though, interesting stuff, even if it is confusing!

It's a long while since I researched this and my memory isn't what it was, but I have a recollection that IA2 antibodies indicate T1 whereas the GAD ones are more associated with LADA. Could be quite wrong though!

I have GAD and IA2 and have Type 1. I think there are at least 4 antibodies they test for. They were written on my test sheet but I can’t remember the others off the top of my head.

Here we are:

• 4 autoantibodies are markers of beta cell autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes: islet cell antibodies (ICA, against cytoplasmic proteins in the beta cell), antibodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD-65), insulin autoantibodies (IAA), and IA-2A, to protein tyrosine phosphatase[2].
  • Autoantibodies against GAD 65 are found in 80% of patients with type 1 diabetes at clinical presentation[3].
  • Presence of ICA and IA-2A at diagnosis for type 1 diabetes range from 69-90% and 54-75%, respectively[11].
  • IAA prevalence correlates inversely with age at onset of diabetes; it is usually the first marker in young children at risk for diabetes [17] and found in approximately 70% of young children at time of diagnosis[1].
  • In the Diabetes Autoantibody Standardization Program 2000 workshop, the ELISA for the insulin autoantibody (IAA) assay ranged in sensitivity of 4-42%; the standardization of the insulin antibody assay continues to be more challenging than for GAD or IA-2A antibodies[16].

https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopki.../547013/all/Autoantibodies_in_Type_1_Diabetes

It's a long while since I researched this and my memory isn't what it was, but I have a recollection that IA2 antibodies indicate T1 whereas the GAD ones are more associated with LADA. Could be quite wrong though!
Ok cool thank you for clarifying!

Clueless - had they invented these tests 50 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back