T1D and Jury Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal422

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Well, just back from holiday to a letter requesting me to go on jury service! Just wondered whether anyone else with T1D and a Libre or similar has been a juror recently and how you have got on? Were there any problems or issues?

I’m wondering about the Libre (which I scan with an app on my phone and I know phones aren’t allowed in court), so finger pricking as an alternative I guess? I am hypo aware, so could manage without checking my BG in court I suppose, but may need to take glucose tablets if I feel myself going low. Injecting insulin wouldn’t be an issue as I’m quite happy to do that in public, so I can bonus before eating, but probably things wouldn’t be predictable enough to risk a pre bolus.

Interested to hear of anyone’s experience here. TIA.

Well, just back from holiday to a letter requesting me to go on jury service! Just wondered whether anyone else with T1D and a Libre or similar has been a juror recently and how you have got on? Were there any problems or issues?

I’m wondering about the Libre (which I scan with an app on my phone and I know phones aren’t allowed in court), so finger pricking as an alternative I guess? I am hypo aware, so could manage without checking my BG in court I suppose, but may need to take glucose tablets if I feel myself going low. Injecting insulin wouldn’t be an issue as I’m quite happy to do that in public, so I can bonus before eating, but probably things wouldn’t be predictable enough to risk a pre bolus.

Interested to hear of anyone’s experience here. TIA.
I think @eggyg did Jury service recently.
Ah, yes, she asked about it in. a thread here,
Also, if you type Jury service into the search box, and her user name into the 'by member' box, some of her comments on her actual experience come up on the morning waking thread.

I did it March last year. I was worried at first I must say, and initially thought I’d try to get out of it. I decided to go for it. At the time I was using a reader so I didn’t have the phone worry. What I will say is there’s loads of hanging about even if you have been chosen for a trial, I was. Lots of breaks and long lunches. Lunch was never less than 1.5 hours and I took my own lunch so plenty of time for a pre bolus. I took jelly babies and water in the court room with me but fortunately never needed any hypo treatments. My BGs were probably more raised than not as I had a very harrowing case. I toyed with telling the court clerk about my “condition” but decided against it as I didn’t want to be singled out or even dismissed. Like you I have hypo awareness so I wasn’t too worried. I can assure you you will probably not be in court for more than 3 hours at a time, if that, there’s lots of faffing about! Go for it, it’s definitely an experience, but I wouldn’t want to do it again.
Top tip. Take lots of reading material!

BGs were probably more raised than not as I had a very harrowing case. I toyed with telling the court clerk about my “condition” but decided against it as I didn’t want to be singled out or even dismissed.
Can you be dismissed as a T1 on these grounds?

Thank you @eggyg for your advice, sounds like it will be ok for me. But I need to change the date as it clashes with a diabetic clinic appointment which I don’t want to postpone. Aside from that it sounds like I will be ok and not be inside the courtroom for long periods which could be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back