T1 Teenager

DJK

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi. I am a mum of a T1 teenager (diagnosed since 7) going through difficult times. Admitted to hospital twice in 5 weeks with high ketones. Struggling to cope and worried.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi @DJK

Sorry to read you and your child are having a difficult time at the moment.
Has anything in particular triggered/caused the repeated episodes and are the diabetes team supporting you both with trying to improve things?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Really sorry to hear what you are both going through. Do you get any psychological support from your clinic?

Teenage years are a tricky time for youngsters living with T1, and he isn’t alone in finding it tough.

I’m tagging in @stephknits @Bronco Billy @Thebearcametoo and @Sally71 who are regular parent posters

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi and welcome. Has your team given you extra support and worked out why it’s happening?

Bronco Billy

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi. I am a mum of a T1 teenager (diagnosed since 7) going through difficult times. Admitted to hospital twice in 5 weeks with high ketones. Struggling to cope and worried.

Hi DJK. Sorry to hear about what is happening to you and your son. Have you noticed any changes in his behaviour or acceptance of the condition? Have the problems coincided with the return to school?

DJK

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Really sorry to hear what you are both going through. Do you get any psychological support from your clinic?

Teenage years are a tricky time for youngsters living with T1, and he isn’t alone in finding it tough.

I’m tagging in @stephknits @Bronco Billy @Thebearcametoo and @Sally71 who are regular parent posters
Hi.
I got some friendly advice from the Diabetes UK helpline. It was the first time I got in touch with them. My daughter came out of hospital yesterday, tired but better thank goodness. The hospital, despite doing many tests do not know why she became poorly. This was the same as last time she went in. The doctors call her a “sweet mystery”. As a parent I’ve not been offered support by the diabetes team. A diabetic nurse is hoping to have a virtual meeting with my daughter this Tuesday to try to establish a connection with her and get her to open up and accept her diabetes. She has left school as is aged 19 and working so that is not making her poorly. It may be she’s at a crossroad in her life, not sure what to do etc. It doesn’t help that her best friend seems to have her life planned and is everything my daughter would love to be. Anyway we’ll see what happens with the nurse on Tuesday. Quiet and relaxed weekend planned!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @DJK

Sorry to hear about the difficulties that your daughter is having.
I hope that the appointment she has with the DSN on Tuesday is helpful.

It does sound like she is coping with a lot of changes that cause problems for many teenagers and then she has to manage Diabetes as well. Is the DSN one that has worked with her before or has she now transitioned to the adult team? This is a change that is also one that some find awkward.

Keep in touch and let us know how things go and come back with any questions.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The transition from paediatric care into adult care can be really difficult, as can the increasing realisation that while you are moving on into adult life your ‘childhood condition’ is isn’t something you are able to leave behind, and it is coming along with you.

Hope the appointment goes well on Tuesday. Hope they can get to the bottom of it and help support your daughter going forward.