T1 Offshore Wind Uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitton2206

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here so apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I've had T1 for nearly 20years and have been on pump therapy for the last 9years.

Does anybody have any experience in working in Offshore Wind in the UK with regards to the medical and having type 1 diabetes?

I have been in onshore wind for 7years and have recently been offered a position offshore 2wks on 2wks off. Are there any regulations that state diabetes can't do this role?

Thanks,
Stu

Welcome to the forum @Fitton2206

Sorry not to be able to help you with your enquiry.
You could call the DUK Helpline 03451232399 or email them helpline@diabetes.org.uk
Or it may be that @LucyDUK can help.

Do stick around. It would be great to have your input from your experience.

Dunno - I do know that people who worked offshore on oil or gas rigs, because the transfers were made by helicopter had to be able to gain a certificate every so often to prove they were physically capable of escaping from a submerged helicopter that had ditched or pitched into the North Sea. The test was more than scary sounding.

The problem is that old tests contain such phrases as "requires the services of a fully equipted bio-lab" or "hospitalize immediately". and the people who set the rules look at old texts.

In the North Sea "immediately" could mean three of four days depending on weather, or even several hours given good conditions.

You would need to find who sets the rules: a government department; or your employer to find the answers and they may not have any discretion.

At your age and 20 years with no serious problems I would go for it, and may I wish you the very best of luck.

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here so apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I've had T1 for nearly 20years and have been on pump therapy for the last 9years.

Does anybody have any experience in working in Offshore Wind in the UK with regards to the medical and having type 1 diabetes?

I have been in onshore wind for 7years and have recently been offered a position offshore 2wks on 2wks off. Are there any regulations that state diabetes can't do this role?

Thanks,
Stu
Hi stu
I'm in the same boat as you were 2 years ago.
How did you get on? Was it a success and did you have any major issues?
Thanks Grant

Hi stu
I'm in the same boat as you were 2 years ago.
How did you get on? Was it a success and did you have any major issues?
Thanks Grant
You may not a reply as the original poster has not visited the site for 2years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back