T1 & Endometriosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic H.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I've been T1D for 40+ years now (diagnosed as a child) but received a new diagnosis of Endometriosis as well on Friday.
I've always suffered from heavy painful periods and have had multiple gynae surgeries, so suspect I've also had this condition for 10s of years too.

Since Friday my blood sugars have been elevated for me and I know that could be as a result of the surgery but I was also fitted with the Mirena coil to help with the heavy bleeding of the Endometriosis, which I've since read can impact on blood sugars.

I've also been offered Zolodex injections/implants to try to help control the Endometriosis by putting me n to early menopause, which again I now understand can impact on blood sugars.
I've declined the Zolodex so far, as I want to try to regain control of my blood sugars before throwing something else at my body for it to try to contend with.

I'm waiting for my Gynae Consultant to get back to me with any possible alternative treatments, which might not have quite so much of an impact on my diabetes.

I just wondered I'd there were any other T1s out there who've also been diagnosed with Endometriosis and how you find managing both conditions and what's worked not so/well for you.

Many thanks

Hi I’m 45, had a ridiculous amount of surgery in the gynea area. I have womb hyperplasia, which I believe is a similar thing to endometriosis. I have very painful heavy periods and ovulation is horrendous. The hyperplasia was picked up around 18 months ago, at the same time as my pelvic congestion syndrome and shortly after my type 1 diagnosis. That’s the point I realised my body hates me. I’ve had no suggestions really as to what to do about it, I was just told that it will be monitored. I’d say about 2 weeks of the month I’m very uncomfortable and my sugars are markedly higher. A mixture of pain and hormones I suppose. I don’t have anything useful to say as currently I’m not really a typical type 1, my diagnosis has been a rocky one to say the least. However I do know how sucky it is and wanted you to know there are others out there. Oh and I’m pretty sure I’m peri menopausal. Living my best life :rofl:

Sounds like you have a hell of a lot going on & I really hope things settle down for you.
Thank you for your reply.

Shortly after starting the Libre 2 (about a year ago), I spotted that my BS was raised the wk before my period was due, I'd never really noticed a pattern before that, I don't know if that's been impacted further by the endometriosis.

Good Luck with everything

Sorry to read of your gynae problems @Diabetic H.
i do not have endometriosis but I have had a Mirena coil to manage heavy bleeding (I am sure you don’t want to read all the details). Thankfully, the coil made no difference to my diabetes and did reduce the bleeding.
If you have recently been through surgery and a scary diagnosis, I am sure that would raise your levels so it may be unclear what the coil impact is.

Thank you for your reply.
It's good to hear the Mirena made no difference to your diabetes & has helped get the results wanted. I'm hoping it's going to be the same for me in the end.
I did say to Mt diabetes care team that it's early days & I don't know whether it could be the trauma of surgery on my body causing the highs, the coil or both.
Last time I had surgery it wasn't quite so invasive, despite being along the same lines & my body seemed to cope well with it, with little disruption.
This time the hospital tried an insulin slide & even though that was stopped because I had a reaction to it, so that could be affecting it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back