T1 diabetic trying to get NHS GP to prescribe Ozempic (semaglutide) - Is it Possible?

T1Trapeze

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm a T1D of 20 years and am insulin resistant. Ozempic should help with this but my GP will not prescribe as I am T1 rather than T2.
Have any T1's managed to get it? and How?

I'm a T1D of 20 years and am insulin resistant. Ozempic should help with this but my GP will not prescribe as I am T1 rather than T2.
Have any T1's managed to get it? and How?
If you read the info https://www.drugs.com/ozempic.html# you will find it is not prescribed for type1 diabetes. The normal course of action is metformin which type 1's can use.
Insulin resistance is also helped by weight loss and exercise.

I’m not sure we have any T1s on Ozempic unfortunately. My understanding was that it was a GLP1 agonist which prompts the body to release more natural insulin (as a T1 you’d not have much, if any, production capacity to stimulate)

Are you already taking Metformin to try to reduce your insulin resistance?

Why would you want to take ozempic? It improves bg by stimulating the pancreas to make more insulin so it’s pretty pointless for a T1. If you want to improve insulin resistance then better taking something that works on that like metformin, or improve diet and exercise

It improves bg by stimulating the pancreas to make more insulin so it’s pretty pointless for a T1.
According to wikipedia it has other effects too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaglutide#Mechanism_of_action
Semaglutide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist. By mimicking the action of the incretin GLP-1, it increases the production of insulin, a hormone that lowers the blood sugar level.[28] It appears to enhance growth of pancreatic beta cells, which are responsible for insulin production and release.[29][30] It also inhibits the production of glucagon, which is a hormone that increases glycogenolysis (release of stored carbohydrate from the liver) and gluconeogenesis(synthesis of new glucose). It reduces food intake by lowering appetite and slowing down digestion in the stomach,[26] helping to reduce body fat.[31] Its half-life in the blood is about seven days (165–184 hours).[29][32]

According to wikipedia it has other effects too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaglutide#Mechanism_of_action
Semaglutide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist. By mimicking the action of the incretin GLP-1, it increases the production of insulin, a hormone that lowers the blood sugar level.[28] It appears to enhance growth of pancreatic beta cells, which are responsible for insulin production and release.[29][30] It also inhibits the production of glucagon, which is a hormone that increases glycogenolysis (release of stored carbohydrate from the liver) and gluconeogenesis(synthesis of new glucose). It reduces food intake by lowering appetite and slowing down digestion in the stomach,[26] helping to reduce body fat.[31] Its half-life in the blood is about seven days (165–184 hours).[29][32]
Yes I have taken it, at 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 doses so I know what it is supposed to do. It did absolutely nothing whatsoever for me, which makes sense as based on being prone to ketones and rapid bg rises if i am a bit late with basal, I don’t believe I produce much insulin. So can’t see it improving bgs for T1s either.

Very low fat plant-based diets can help insulin sensitivity too. Might be worth a try. Are you already on Metformin @T1Trapeze ?

Back