T1 and RA - Biologics

100cas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there anyone else who is T1 and takes a biologic for RA (or for any other auto immune condition)?

I have just started on Yuflyma (adalimumab) to manage my rheumatoid arthritis. The day I took it my glucose levels increased quite significantly, but since then (10 days ish) my glucose levels have been running much lower than usual. I was just wondering if anyone else if on similar meds and could share their experience. My rheumatologist advised that there would be no impact on my glucose levels hence me being interested in the experience of others.

Hi,
I take Yuflyma for Psoriatic arthritis, I'm HBL B27 positve too. At the moment I'm being treated as T2, awaiting results of GADS test as my mum is late onset T1, but being treated as T2 currently.
I was on Humira for yrs but was moved over to the bio simular at the beginning of the pandemic, it shot my liver enzymes up so I decided not to take immunosuppressive until a vaccine was available. Recently restarted on Yuflyma and not had any obvious problems 8 weeks back in. Although, interesting I've stated having prolonged hypos in the night, but also been upping metformin and gliclazide over the same period of time, so it's hard know what's caused what.

Interesting.

@Clare153 thank you for your reply. Glad you’re getting on well with Yuflyma, I’m not having any bloods until I’m 3 months in but even after one injection feel like it is helping.

Yes the night hypos are what I’m experiencing - I’ve come up with a theory (backed by nothing at this point) which is that the inflammation in my body is decreasing due to the Yuflyma which is increasing my insulin sensitivity.

@Clare153 thank you for your reply. Glad you’re getting on well with Yuflyma, I’m not having any bloods until I’m 3 months in but even after one injection feel like it is helping.

Yes the night hypos are what I’m experiencing - I’ve come up with a theory (backed by nothing at this point) which is that the inflammation in my body is decreasing due to the Yuflyma which is increasing my insulin sensitivity.
Oh, I've been told strictly to have blood tests at 1, 2 and 3 months and then 6 months before going annually. I've had a super snotty cold recently and put my night time hypos down to that, so very interesting that you are having them too.

That would be my theory too. Interestingly, my CRP was increasing for the year or so that I was unknowingly dealing with late-onset type 1. It’s come right down since starting on insulin! I was on methotrexate for the whole time (not been on a biologic yet). Hope the Yuflyma works for you!

Back